WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Universal Geneve Bumper... seen better days... anyone know a good redialer??

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Sparcster 
#1 ·
Hi Gents...

The redesign of the collection continues... and in the search for a UG (still looking for a Micro rotor) I came across this... For some reason I thought it was a good Idea to spend £75 on this... Think Im losing it :-s

As im starting to learn the ways of watch repair.. slowly with minor success... I think Ive started to see potential in some really quite run down watches.... which I normally would have not bothered looking at... think I should have passed on this....

Universal Geneve Automatic (bumper) 138SS... dating to the 50s/60s??

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Universal 138SS

As the title and glowing report so far may have suggested, the watch is not in the best of condition... its been with me nearly a week... tonight I plucked up the courage to take a look....

Ive spent a little time giving it a clean... and the watch does seem to show some signs of what it could look like...

Normally I dont look to re-dial a watch, as im normally happy with a bit of age... but this is too far gone for me... anyone know of a good person to carry out some re-finishing/re-dialing works? Ideally in the Uk...

I supose more importantly, is it work me doing it??

Cheers,

See less See more
#3 ·
#8 ·
I think RBK never took the watch off... swimming in the sea, DIY, gardening... as the watch could take it... OR NOT!!!

#9 ·
good luck with the restoration of your watch:-!

#10 ·
8 months on.....

Just received it back from getting a service.... running very smooth... cant hear the bumper!

Dial went to International Dial Co.... did a good job for the price....

I probably should have just flipped this at the start..... But eventhough i probably wont get back the time/money spent on the watch... hopefully it will now have many more years of use! Just need to find someone with the initials R.B.K.

#12 ·
They've made a good job and your watchmaker has polished your case and hands up nicely,
it is what it is and most people wanting a vintage watch prefer a watch which looks like this
to the beat up watch which you first posted and who can blame them.
Nice one.

#13 ·
They've made a good job and your watchmaker has polished your case and hands up nicely
International had the first go at the hands.... but when they came back, they did not look much different! I ended up cleaning the hands...

But my watch guy did a great job on the case!

it is what it is and most people wanting a vintage watch prefer a watch which looks like this
to the beat up watch which you first posted and who can blame them.
Nice one.
True... but I dont want it..... Its odd, when I started out... this would have been my dream watch.... Clean black dial, nice s/s case, quality movement..... but not any more!

Im sure someone will be happy with it!

Has anyone used the sales section of WUS?

Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.