Universal Geneve Polerouter - Page 2

Thread: Universal Geneve Polerouter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Universal Geneve Polerouter

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    Thanks all. It is the best condition vintage wristwatch I have. In fact, it stands up well compared to my best condition pocketwatches.
    Yummy! Congratulations. Where did You find it?

Quote Originally Posted by o.v.e View Post
    Where did You find it?
    Canada.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

My first Polerouter, 14K gold capped case. Movement is a 218-2 with micrometric adjustment of the regulator. It is in quite good condition. The dial can be a challenge to read in direct sunlight, so this is strictly an evening watch.

Very nice. Interesting to see this watch with gold dial. I happen to have exactly the same watch, except that mine has a silver dial with crosshair. It dates to 1962. It is a nice "transitional" model, between the Polerouters from the 1950's and the 1960's. It still has the beautiful index ring, applied logo, and the caseback with engraving. The movement is still a (further improved) microtor.

Do you have a picture of the caseback as well ?

Congatulations and thanks for sharing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I guess this gold one to be about the best of the Polerouters. I have a 215 maybe the first model? Nice condition and function. I do not know of a water resistant case for these, but this one has original screw on wrench flat edged glass back with gasket. I do not know of another 50+ year old glass back w.w. Screw on to prevent the thick glass breaking? It came from watchmaker-dealer selling shop eqpt. so maybe a demonstrater?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; October 1st, 2010 at 14:44.

Art, your Polerouter has a 215 which was the first microtor, before that there was a short period with bumper auto. Your glass back case must have been custom made, maybe by the company or importer as a 'salesman case' to use a term from pocketwatch collecting? The bezel of it looks to be identical to a stock screw on caseback, like on mine. I need to take new pictures of the caseback, don't know what happened to the ones I had.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Fabulous. Considering the novelty factor of the microtor I think it very likely that a retailer, or even a wholesaler, would want a display back to emphasis the new movement.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Fabulous. Considering the novelty factor of the microtor I think it very likely that a retailer, or even a wholesaler, would want a display back to emphasis the new movement.
    OH MAN I want a custom glass back for my vintages!

My Universal says hi. It's not a Polerouter but it features a (much later generation) microtor movement.

"...[A] watch isn’t about telling the time, it is about your relationship with time. A watch is about style, a story and the history of both your watch and your own life."
    -Askmen.com's The Watch Snob

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    Art, your Polerouter has a 215 which was the first microtor, before that there was a short period with bumper auto. Your glass back case must have been custom made, maybe by the company or importer as a 'salesman case' to use a term from pocketwatch collecting? The bezel of it looks to be identical to a stock screw on caseback, like on mine. I need to take new pictures of the caseback, don't know what happened to the ones I had.
    Does the screw thread back normally indicate water resistant or better case quality? Appreciate your opinion about the glass back. It was without strap in a box of many old watches, but may never have been used.
    Last edited by artb; October 3rd, 2010 at 00:51.

superb watch with a superb movement
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information