Universal polerouter and other advice

Thread: Universal polerouter and other advice

Universal polerouter and other advice

Is this any good? Is the dial original?
    UNIVERSAL GENÈVE »POLEROUTER AUTOMATIC« VON 1959 (eBay item 130462230066 end time 16-Dec-10 05:50:38 AEDST) : Uhren Schmuck
    The cal 69 came in the early 60s so the banner is wrong I think
    I was considering buying a Polerouter which seems pretty nice. Or maybe an Eterna matic. Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated especially regarding advice on the best choice for a chronometre/chronometer from the 50s-60s with date up to around $1200. I like Longines also (missed a really nice Flagship yesterday on eBay) and have a manual wind cal 23ZS which keeps time to 0-4sec per day. But I am keen on a chronometer/chronometre. Thoughts about this would be great!
    Last edited by ljdhealt; December 11th, 2010 at 03:45.

Re: Universal polerouter and other advice

Quote Originally Posted by ljdhealt View Post
    UNIVERSAL GENÈVE »POLEROUTER AUTOMATIC« VON 1959 (eBay item 130462230066 end time 16-Dec-10 05:50:38 AEDST) : Uhren Schmuck
    I was considering buying a Polerouter which seems pretty nice. Or maybe an Eterna matic. Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated especially regarding advice on the best choice for a chronometre/chronometer from the 50s-60s with date up to around $1200. I like Longines also (missed a really nice Flagship yesterday on eBay) and have a manual wind cal 23ZS which keeps time to 0-4sec per day. But I am keen on a chronometer/chronometre. Thoughts about this would be great!
    I think it looks fantastic though I'm not a UG expert. I'm only a bit bummed that the start price is so high. 2years ago and these could be had for a lot less. But if this one checks out it is in exceptional condition and pretty good looking for a typical ug. good luck oif you bid/buy
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

The movement looks good, and I would say the dial is original. But the lugs are pretty much polished, or so it seems to me. Probably not a bad deal, since prices have risen, but it is really at the upper limit already at starting price. Better wait. Personally I would never buy anything from a German ebay store ending on "24"...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for these comments. What is the significance of the "24" for a German ebay store?

Thanks for these comments. What is the significance of the "24" for a German ebay store?
    I think its 4-2-0 that has some oddbal/psuedo mystical/peabrained/BS signif. to nutjobs but NO idea what '24' refers to.....?
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

If your Longines is working that well, you already have a chronometer !

The UG Polerouter with microtor may perform as a chronometer as well (much depends on the individual condition of the watch).

This watch looks pretty nice and rare, stainless steel version (goldcapped seem a little more common) with original crown and what looks like an original crystal. Dial also looks original and in very good condition.

So the price is very reasonable IMHO. May be interesting to know also that a new Universal Geneve automatic watch costs 10 x that much.

You are right this watch dates to the 1960's, it should date after 1962, perhaps 1964 or so.
    If you can read the serial number on the back (this does look a little polished) you can date it better.

I'm not saying you should get it, but it is a nice watch, good luck.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

All these stores, ending on 24, seem to take a similar marketing approach. They don't sell junk and no explicit fakes! Sometimes a marriage maybe. The German text desribing the watch is horrible blabla, not even correct. In this case, look how they have polished the lugs and the case back - that is kind of typical and it shows either little knowhow, or little respect for what they are selling and whom they are selling to. As long as it blinks, it will find a buyer... go and compare with other xxx24-shops, and You will see the resemblance.

I am not saying, don't buy. But You might find a nicer polerouter for the same or less money. There is nothing in the text about any service to the movement - these guys really only polish up the exterior.

If you are looking to spend up to $1,200 on a chronometer, then I have four words for you:

Omega Constellation Pie Pan

Should be able to get an excellent to near-mint example for that kind of money.

Also should post eBay or other seller pictures here for assistance. There are many fakes and put together frankenwatces on these.

Trust me, patience will be rewarded on this one.

Good luck with your search,
    gatorcpa

Southampton UK as prisoner of work but home is a village in La Mayenne.

And I have four more: Be very careful ineeed.
    Piepans are amongst the most desirable watches that there are and for good reason. They are regularly faked and mucked about with. Only the most experienced collectors should attempt to buy one and then only after much study. The Omega collectors blogspot is the place to go for advice. Desmond is a scourge of the ungodly tricksters and his ok is as good as it gets. Originality is all with these and patience is necessary. That said, it is a very satisfying watch and money well spent.

This is great advice. Thanks to all. The communication from the seller has been sub optimal after asking a few simple questions about the discrepancies in date etc. I am not going to pursue it. It is nice looking however. I have read heaps about the Omega Constellations and the fakes. It seems such a minefield.

Thread Information