Unknow older watchers - Page 2

Thread: Unknow older watchers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Unknow older watchers

I can only offer the usual obvious comments. The Unknowns are women's watches which look Swiss inside and out. The octagonal one is older, by style and movement. A fairly early example of pinless setting. the movement was probably designed for a pendant or brooch watch. Mid 1910s to mid 1920s. The tonneau is somewhat newer; late '20s to 1930s. The form movement shows the greater maturity of wristwatch design by that stage.

Both seem to have good quality movements (the older one is particularly good for a woman's watch of its day), so I'd guess the cases are as good to match them. You're very lucky to have those original straps. It's the fine details that really make these watches special.
    Last edited by Chascomm; October 22nd, 2008 at 05:58. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    Both seem to have good quality movements (the older one is particularly good for a woman's watch of its day), so I'd guess the cases a good to match them. You're very lucky to have those original straps. It's the fine details that really make these watches special.
    Thanks for you comment, a good one!

I'm thrilled to hear about your compliment's on the oldest movement (octagonal), as it still runs and keeps the time. Do you think it will be worth investing in an service of that movement? It's not used..
    The tonneau don't work anymore.. And don't think I'm going to let a watchmaker look at it anytime soon either.

The straps are a real charm and makes these watches even better, I think that they are original but really don't know to be honest.

Take care
    Rousp

Money; feel better on your wrist than in your bank!

I've found this watch on an auction today, the band resembles the one on my tonneau.
    Have a look here.

Obviously my band is older, or at least in bader shape. My questione is, was this an regular type of band or could this be an clue to the fact that my tonneau is an Ebel? If you look at the caseback even the layout on the numbers there are similar to my tonneau..

Take care
    Rousp

Money; feel better on your wrist than in your bank!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information