Unknown antique pocket watchmaker

Thread: Unknown antique pocket watchmaker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown antique pocket watchmaker

Hi all, we received this pocket watch handed down the family (great grandpa circa 1880s - Tennessee)
    The information of the casing says AW Co (as seen on the photo) with no. 3235853
    The information of the watch says Hope&Bro Co (as seen on the photo) with no. 455819
    I can not find information about Hope &Bro anywhere.
    I posted photos in the facebook page,
    https://www.facebook.com/Watchuseek (photos > 1 mb)
    Anyone can id this watch?
    thanks

Re: Unknown antique pocket watchmaker

You need to post the photo here if you want a serious reply.
    Hope Brothers was a Knoxville jeweler so the watch is probably a private label one made by an American maker, but without a photo ID is impossible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hope_(architect)
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; January 3rd, 2013 at 03:32.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I'm guessing a bit with your description. The case stamped AW Co., would indicate one of the large watch factories, American Waltham made the case. Back then it was common for jewelers to add their own dial, which I am assuming from your description says Hope & Bro Co. If you would open the case I think the movement will also say Aw Co and the serial number would allow us to date the watch. Pictures added to your posting here would help a lot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by moreflip2012 View Post
    Hi all, we received this pocket watch handed down the family (great grandpa circa 1880s - Tennessee)
    The information of the casing says AW Co (as seen on the photo) with no. 3235853
    The information of the watch says Hope&Bro Co (as seen on the photo) with no. 455819
    thanks
    here are some photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks to me like an 18S Elgin Model 2 keywind. If it is it would date to 1875. I'm going to move this to the pocket watch forum so others can see it.
    ETA: The Elgin database says 1876 and only 7 jewels but this one I believe has more. Maybe the jeweler had it made as a bit higher grade, or installed the jewels himself.
    http://www.elginnumbers.com/index.php
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; January 3rd, 2013 at 14:53.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

It's not unusual for private label watches to look substantially different from the "factory" specifications; the watch would be pulled from a given run and finished to the specifications required. Since the factory records were usually done in "blocks", they don't usually included the details of the one-offs. In some cases, even the serial numbers aren't valid.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

• Serial number lookup came back with this info
    • Movement Serial Number:455819
    • Estimated Production Year:1876
    • Run Quantity:10000
    • Size:18s
    • Jewels:7j
    • Movement Configuration:Hunting
    • Movement Finish:Gilt
    • Model:1
    • Movement Setting:Key
    • Plate:Full Plate
    • Barrel:Going
    • Adjusted:No
    • Adjusted to Positions:Unknown
    • Railroad Grade:No

Quote Originally Posted by moreflip2012 View Post
    thanks
    I just read the "Dating and Identification - Read this First" posting and have some additional information that may be helpful, although I am not so sure what I am really talking about.
    The casing (AW Co) is double casing, or so I think. The front casing opens to display the dial but then there is the glass case that opens with direct access to the hands.
    On the back the case opens with access to a 2nd case, opening this 2nd case accesses the mechanics as shown on the photo above.
    The outermost case has some designed inscription (shield or something?) both the front and back.
    The inner rear case does not have a design inscription although there are many numbers scribbled all over the inside rear covers (B342, 4961, B224, B9695, 215-'delta'2, B01451, 2094, 2685H, B598H, B1622, D7393, K469, casa hart).

The case isn't going to really tell you anything aside from the maker. The numbers that are scratched on the inner case are service codes from the watchmakers who worked on the movement over the years.
    It's a hunter case and movement so there is a good chance the watch has stayed in its original case. Sometimes we see hunter movements that have been recased in open face cases but not in this instance.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; January 4th, 2013 at 02:09.

NOT AN ELGIN. It's a Hampden Watch Co. no.1 movement from approx. 1888. No Elgin looks like that, note the shape of the barrel bridge, that's Hampden.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information