Unknown swiss watch - Miacara

Thread: Unknown swiss watch - Miacara

Unknown swiss watch - Miacara

Hello everybody,
    I have bought a watch based on the fact that 'Swiss made' was show on the dial. The dial shows the name Miacare.
    I was not able to find on the internet this brand name.
    I think it's from an Swiss watch maker from an Italian district of Switzerland.

Seems the glass is of celluloid type.
    The numbers on the dial seem very old.

But have a look at the pictures to see for your self.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by koert; September 16th, 2010 at 00:47. Reason: extra pictures

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Unknown swiss watch - Miacara

Quote Originally Posted by koert View Post
    Hello everybody,
    I have bought a watch based on the fact that 'Swiss made' was show on the dial. The dial shows the name Miacare.
    I was not able to find on the internet this brand name.
    I think it's from an Swiss watch maker from an Italian district of Switzerland.

Seems the glass is of celluloid type.
    The numbers on the dial seem very old.

But have a look at the pictures to see for your self.
    Very interesting watch. It looks like maybe 1920s manufacture based on its style. Cylinder movements like in this watch persisted, mostly in women's watches, until the 1950s, but they were definitely fading out in the 1920s.

What are the measurements of the watch?

And what was it in particular about 'Swiss Made' that attracted you?
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

The movement is very similar to an A.Schild 210, cylinder, with a false cut 3/4 plate. The plates are of a very light material, and the movement is not of the best quality unfortunately.

I would agree it is probably 1920s, but it could be as late as the 1930s as there are other examples I have seen that are stylistically similar, such as the Pierce parashock.

I have seen a very similar watch branded 'TipTop' for sale locally. I don't know what the movement in this one is though.

Last edited by trim; September 15th, 2010 at 08:10.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My similar style (1930s?) Pierce says hello. These are very very small compared to modern men's watches.

Thanks for the responses sofar.
    But to answer your questions:
    The sizes:
    Diameter of the movement 23 mm
    Thickness of the movement (excluding the hands axes) 4 mm

Including the shell 37 mm x 27 mm x 9 mm
    The botom plate is slighty curved to follow the wrist shape.
    It contains some numbers and text:
    '689' (outside stamped)

'nickel chrome' (inside stamped)

'FBDL990
    2103' (inside scratched, F could be a T as well)

'12-37-17 Kos
    7 - 18 -33' (inside scratched, 'Kos' could be 'Kbs' as well)

Well what I like about 'swiss made'.
    I find swiss watches fine instruments. I think off the famous watches of Switzerland. When I was a teen ager, I really liked the appollo watch (Omega Speedmaster) and thought now that all swiss watch are top notch quality. I start to know now, that some watches from other countries are ok too and not all swiss watches are so fine.
    I really find Omega Seamaster DeVille a nice watch. Maybe I will buy a Seamaster from the 1960s or just before 1960 in the coming years.
    For now I sometimes wear a Delvina watch which I got cheap. It's a nice watch but the dial is not perfect anymore.
    About the quelity of this movement:
    The balance of this watch is missing bearing, so it doesn't run anymore. The rest works ok, I think because the hands moved correctly when i pulled the balance aside a bit. So I think repair would mean only placing a new bearing (jewel?).
    Last edited by koert; September 16th, 2010 at 00:42. Reason: forgot some

I have found that 9 times out of ten, the balance staffs are broken on these old cylinder watches. I can see your top balance jewel in the pictures, do you mean that the jewel is missing on the other side? You would only be able to see that with the dial removed. If your staff is intact, you might be able to make it run, but I would take it to a watchmaker just to get his opinion of it, it is a very old low-grade movement, and any repairs would easily cost more than it is worth. If your balance wiggles back and forth, that is, rocks from side to side even a little on its axis, your staff is broken.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

23mm movement in a 27x37 case; so it's a man's watch. Cylinder movements fell out of favour in men's watches sooner than women's so that makes this a bit rarer.

This being a cylinder movement, it may have worn, either on the escape-wheel teeth or the cylinder itself, to a point beyond resurrection without replacement parts. So be prepared for a disappointment. All the same, it's definitely worth getting a professional to look it over.

Regarding Swiss watches, you need to bear in mind that Switzerland has not only been the source of the world's best watches, but also the world's worst; often at the same time. This watch would have been towards the lower end back in its day. That's not to disrespect it. Every vintage watch has a story, and this one tells of a time of transition, when it was still just slightly more economical to employ the labour-intensive techniques of cylinder escapement technology, than to invest developing superior lever escapements.

I like the name 'Mia Cara' It would make a great gift for a spouse or lover. Whoever owned that brand was clever.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Thread Information