An unknown watch...

Thread: An unknown watch...

Question An unknown watch...

Hi everybody,

My father in law own one old watch perhaps from 19th century. I do not know what is the brand of this watch so I took some photos and I hope someone here would recognize this watch.
    The watch is made of 14K gold. There is also inside a text - Cylindre 10 rubis -
    A name inside the watch is perhaps something like - **(*)turd or **(*)lurd.
    Could someone please help me with this watch recognition?

Kind Regard
    Vehkis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by GinGinD; August 27th, 2010 at 04:57.

Re: An unknown watch...

Post moved to Vintage & Pocket Watches subforum.

Jeannie

Finding the name of the maker might be impossible. The writing you reference, is retard, French for slow.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you nsmike for this information. So there in no name in the watch at all. The origin of the watch seems to be French. Perhaps you are right in that it may be impossible to find name to this watch because it should be a little bit more than 100 years old now.
    I am still hoping someone would know something of this watch model =)

More likely the French speaking area of Switzerland. Your watch comes from an era when farmers would cooperatively make watches during the winter months. While watches may be unmarked they did have a regional style. There does seem to be some markings on the case. They could identify the cases country of origin which is likely the same as the watches.
    Last edited by nsmike; August 26th, 2010 at 17:12.

This is very interesting information - thank you for this one. Do you or anybody else here in this forum know some Swiss site where I could send my inquiry and pics too? If there could perhaps be someone who know something about those "regional styles and markings" on this watch.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The cylindre escapement movement in your watch is one of the more pedestrian quality calibres (although better than the pin lever "Roskopf" style movement) of its era. The watch dates to around 1880-1910 with a focus on 1890-1900. It is a standard watch made for the everyday person in the street at that time, rather like the better (=medium) quality quartz watches are today. In a few decades, you would hardly be able to identify the maker of a modern quartz watch, in the same vein, you can't really say much about your watch. I have a similar one which belonged to my great grandfather (it is possible that he made, i.e. assembled, it since he was a watchmaker) and which luckily at least has the maker's mark on the movement (FF, i.e. Favre Freres in Cormoret) but the watch itself lacks any other signature. If you are lucky, you will have a movement maker's mark perhaps under the dial (which only the watchmaker can see when he services it) but it is quite possible that it lacks even that.

Hartmut Richter

Thanks H.R. for all this information too. This gave me more interesting and valuable information according to this watch. It is nice to now even something more about such an old watch.
    Maybe I will have possibility check out that backside of the dial some day if there would be some mark. If so I will let you know...
    Sad that here have been some troubles with a server so that those thumbnail pics of the watch do not open bigger ones so them could be seen more clearly.

Thread Information