Unknown Watch by Unknown Brand Phillippe

Thread: Unknown Watch by Unknown Brand Phillippe

Unknown Watch by Unknown Brand Phillippe

Hi All

Posted about this watch a long time ago here but didn't get a response.

ALMOST POSITIVE this can't be a PATEK PHILLIPPE (although I wish it was!)

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/unkn...ch-132374.html

Now, I've become daring enough to pop the back off to have a look at the movement.

I'll quote my old post here, but still looks as there are some good pictures in that last thread.

Anybody have any ideas what this is?!

"My Uncle recently gave and old watch because of my new interest. He told me it cost him 2 months pay back in the mid-40s.

I don't know much about it other than how it looks.

I recently purchased an Omega Seamaster Cosmic from the 60's and a sharp Longines from the 50's.

I'd like to know more about this 40's watch. Wondering if anyone could shed some light on the subject.

It's marked Philippe Watch Extra. And on the back it reads Swiss Made."

Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 401
Size:  103.0 KBName:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  134.2 KB

Re: Unknown Watch by Unknown Brand Phillippe

It looks to be a plated brass case based watch with a standard movement and a redone dial. Before the dial was redone who knows what it said... It is probably from the late 30s or 40s. But if this watch cost 2 months pay in the 40's the owner was not making a lot of money.

The watch has none of the markings which would indicate it was ever intended for export to the US.

I hope that helps.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    It looks to be a plated brass case based watch with a standard movement and a redone dial. Before the dial was redone who knows what it said... It is probably from the late 30s or 40s. But if this watch cost 2 months pay in the 40's the owner was not making a lot of money.

The watch has none of the markings which would indicate it was ever intended for export to the US.

I hope that helps.
    I'm a hundred percent certain the owner wasn't making a lot of money (whatever a lot of money was during the war in the 40's). My uncle was a tailor in Palermo during the second world war. Taking into account the stories I hear (about them not having enough food to eat in the mid-40's) I'm sure his paychecks were quite small.

He bought this when he was in his teens after landing a job in the city because, as he said, to be taken seriously back then, you needed a wrist watch.

He took his first two paychecks and bought himself this watch in a shop that apparently still exists (I'll have to ask him the name again) but he's been the sole owner and I doubt if he knows the dial has been redone (is this a common thing that could have happened during a service?). He gave it to me because he saw my collection of other vintage watches.

Anyway, I really wasn't expecting this watch to be worth anything. It's more a sentimental piece from my sicilian uncle (everybody in my family immigrated to the USA after the second world war from Sicily).

Thanks for rundown Eeeb.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't know about the redone dial, but I'd need to see a magnified view. "Phillipe Watch" does match the "P.W." on the ratchet wheel, and doubt it was a deliberate attempt to ride the coattails of "Patek Phillipe"; it's not a uncommon name, after all, and "Phillipe Watch" is a little too subtle to make it a valid attempt to mislead. It's a fairly simple movement with no shock protection, but the finish is decent, so it was probably worth about $20-$50 dollars at the time. Of course "at the time", a good wage was 50c an hour, so...

If I had to date it, I'd put it post-war; latter half of the 40's at the earliest. The dial paint looks kinda rough; that could just be distortions from the crystal, age, or just that it was done by hand in the first place.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

The dial pic from the original thread is clearer:

The silver background is easy to reproduce and the lettering does look a bit uneven. The dial is in pretty good condition, much better than the case or movement. I suspect it is a redial. If Marrick were not on vacation I am sure he would shoot up the dates of the PW company.

Watches like this are heirlooms and should never be evaluated for value as if you were an eBay vendor intending to put it up for sale. Mine is priceless!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

First its Philippe
    And there is no chance in my opinion this watch was or is a Patek Philippe.

sorry
    A
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Yeah. Like I said. Didn't really think this was a Patek and never really thought it was worth money.

Just curious about its history.

Even if it was worth $50,000 I wouldn't sell it. It's an heirloom now, with a nice story. Worth more than any other watch IMO.

Thanks for your knowledge everyone!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

For what it's worth, the movement is almost certainly by Adolf Schild (e.g. Cal. AS 1205 family):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 1205

Hartmut Richter

Hartmut

Thanks for the info. That's VERY interesting! I will do research!.

Thread Information