Unusual Double faced Pocket Watch

Thread: Unusual Double faced Pocket Watch

Unusual Double faced Pocket Watch

Hi,

I've been trying to find some information on a pocket watch that my grandfather left me, sadly I can't find any pics/info on a watch even similar to this, i don't suppose anyone has seen anything like this before?

On 1 side a typical watch, ont he other side, some sort of chronometer, main hand rotates anti-clockwise following a colour-coded numerical sequence, each complete rotation causes the smaller hand to move from 1 to 5, the only inscription is "Miles per Hour".

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Ray

Re: Unusual Double faced Pocket Watch

Interesting watch, that is called a pedometer on the back
    and measures miles walked.
    I've never seen one built into a watch.

JLB

I don't think this is a pedometer, it appears to be similar to the 'tachymeter' scale on many chronographs. If the hand on the back revolves once per minute, with the color scales corresponding to the first minute, second minute, and so forth, then the scale number correspond to the miles per hour speed of the measured vehicle over a measured mile. The front dial seems to have some subdials as well, implying that this is some kind of a chronograph movement inside. The hand on the back would move probably in synchronism with the center-second hand on the front dial, with the 1-5 colored indicator indexed to each rotation of the back second hand. A fascinating watch, can you post some pictures of the movement?

Jim Brokaw

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes, a chronograph. It would be very interesting to see the movement. I only have one pocket chronograph, a 1874 Waltham with Lugrin patent. Waltham also made double dial chronographs, this is not one of them but the movement could be related, like those made for Swiss companies Timing & Repeating Watch Co and Longines. Then again, Omega and others made double dial chronographs.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Thanks for the replies.

As yet, I cannot figure out how to get access the the inner movement. As the watch ahs a double face, I cannot open it from the back to have a look like a typical watch, each side has a solid plate face and then the hands are mounted on top of those with no obvious way to get inside, I don't want to risk removing the hands to be able to remove the faces underneath.

It would seem that it was not designed to be opened by an unskilled person but only someone with the tools and skills to remove the hands.

The annoying thing is there are no markings anywhere so I have no idea who could have made it, weeks of searching on google and watch sites and I could not even find a single similar watch.

With regards to the 2 small dials on the front side, the upper dial moves 1 increment in relation to the 1-5 dial on the rear.

My initial theory for the rear side was that it was used by athletes on the running track, they would have a measured mile, start the clock and start running, as the main hand counted down through 60 seconds, as it goes over the 60 seconds the small hand counts to 1 and then the main hand counts down again, so if the watch was to be stopped say after 2mins 30secs, instead of trying to remember how many times the main hand has done a full rotation, you have this easy 1-5scale telling you how many times a full rotation has been completed thus giving you how many minutes without having to actually remember.... early edition of a digital stop watch for anything that lasts more than 60 seconds.

But thats only a theory and doesnt explain the miltiple colours or the numerical rings going from 240 down to 12.

I think the upper small dial on the front that increases as the 1-5 dial increases is meant to be for larger scale times that go past 5 minutes, perhaps a marathon run that could be timed upto 30minutes.

After sitting and looking at it for a long time I've just noticed the this dial is actually the seconds hand for the main face clock, and the large 3rd hand (which I thought was the seconds hand) is another timing hand which is reset upon pressing the button on the top.

Just did a little more searching using the term "Pocket Chronograph", I found a couple of watches which are very similar/identical design and front face however none of them have the rearface.

The watches that I found were dated late 1800's / early 1900's, made by a company called Leonidas (later bought by Heuer, later Tag Heuer)

The more I looked at the rear face and the multiple colours, I began to think; surely nobody from that time period was able to actually print these colours let alone put them on a watch, which in turn makes me wonder if this rear face was perhaps a modern modification to the watch and that the original watch would have just had a solid back plate covering the inside.

This again is just theory, but does anyone know if pocket watches have ever been modifed like this or if watches from period have ever used the bright colours?

The front top register will record elapsed time (as will the small 1 to 5 minute increment dial on the back). The main back register will record your speed over one running mile. If the small register is still in red (1) when finishing the mile, you read the average speed on the outer red scale. Meaning you would have been in a vehicle in order to accomplish between 60 and 240 mph.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    I don't think this is a pedometer, it appears to be similar to the 'tachymeter' scale on many chronographs.
    Jim Brokaw
    Oooops my mistake, you are correct of course.
    I've never saw anything like it, a rare watch indeed.

Thread Information