Unusual Mondaine Single-hand watch - Any ideas?

Thread: Unusual Mondaine Single-hand watch - Any ideas?

Question Unusual Mondaine Single-hand watch - Any ideas?

My wife has a Mondaine with only a single hand to indicate hours and minutes -- no second-hand. Resolution is only 5-minute intervals. She obtained it in Germany 10 - 15 years ago and isn't sure how old it is. There is nothing on the caseback or face to identify the model.

I don't know much about Mondaines, and have not been able to find out any information about this particular watch. I'd appreciate any assistance anyone could offer.

The case is very light (density-wise) and has a brushed finish. I suppose it might be titanium, but doesn't seem hard enough for that -- maybe a nickel-alloy? The crystal has small scratches (that show up very well in the photo) and is flat. The battery has died, but I assume that it still runs. I have contacted a Mondaine service shop for info about replacing it.

I've attached a photo.

Thanks,

dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Unusual Mondaine Single-hand watch - Any ideas?

Hi -

Mondaine is a Swiss watch maker and makes the (in)famous railroad watch, styled after the Swiss railroad clocks, what have a very nice, modern, legible design. Their slogan: what good is a watch when you can't tell the time? This, of course, refers to the legibility of their watch faces.

They're very much a modern company, mostly quartz and basically a single design philosophy, which yields very elegant watches at basicaly a very fair price. The case is probably hardened aluminium.

They've been around since 1951, so they are an established company, albeit for Swiss standards very, very young.

They tend to service foreign markets: they claim to have been selling a half-million watches a year to South America in 1956; they own Neuchatel and Constructa. They also claim to have brought out the world's first LCD watch and the first programmable LCD watch in the 1970s. They make the M-Watch for Migros, one of the largest Swiss retail chains, which is a Swatch-like competitor with sales in the millions, but limited largely to Switzerland.

They have won several awards for making their watches out of post-consumer recycled materials.

They've been making the Camel watches since 1993.

They're very, very modern: they claim to be able to deliver, within Switzerland, any amount of watches of any brand within 6 hours of placing the order! That indicates significant investment in logistics...

And since 1997 they've been making watches for Bally.

That one-hand watch is almost certainly one of their "Architects and Artists" series.

Any decent watchmaker should be able to replace that battery and perhaps even the crystal for a modest fee.

They're very stylish and very nice watches: given the probable relative rarity of this one-handed watch, I'd consider getting it fixed back up.

And Merry Christmas!

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thanks JohnF, und frohe Weihnachten! BTW, I really enjoyed reading the posts on your websites. We're cut from the same cloth politically, I think.
    Anyway, I appreciate the quick primer on Mondaine. After poking around the Mondaine website, I came to the same conclusion you did regarding the "Architects and Artists" series. I'm definitely having it fixed up just because I've never seen another one like it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thread Information