Unusual pocket watch movement on the way...
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Unusual pocket watch movement on the way...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Unusual pocket watch movement on the way...

I have this sick liking to odd watch movements. I have this one on the way. I have spend a few hours looking for this shape to figure out who made it. The name Bouchet Brothers London does not come up with anything. But through hunting I did come up with Huguenin Vuillemin. I don't know if this is yet another retailer or the actual maker being that Huguenin Vuillemin is associated with a few different styles of movement. I have seen 2 rather exotic shapes like this one and a Lepine IV bar movement with a pivoted detent.

So is this a Huguenin Vuillemin being retailed as a Bouchet Brother London or some creature from a different maker all together? Does anyone recognize the shape?

The first group of pictures are of the movement I have being sent to me.

This is the Huguenin Vuillemin one that I found on a completed auction.

Overall I do not know the running condition as the seller did not have a key and knew nothing about it. I can be certain that it had a gold case being that it is gone! Stupid scrappers. Anyway....

I find the mounting for the hairspring and the fact that the regulator adjusts the length through a hole in the balance cock interesting. The diamond end stone is a nice feature. The oddest thing to me though is the 4th wheel of the train looks to be on the dial side of the watch. It engages the escapement wheel pinion from under the wheel through the plate.
    bobbee and radger like this.

Re: Unusual pocket watch movement on the way...

Nice. "Brittens" lists three Bouchets; Jacob (1714-1729), Jean Louis (1769, Paris) and John (1741, of Peter, St Martin in the Fields). Dunno if any of them were brothers...
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Unusuall,very interesting and after cleaning a gem. I've no idea about the orgin but as someone with nearly the same sickness, I think all parts matches to a swiss movement but the capstone area looks very british. Might be a adaption to the english market or a "correction" on the island. I hope you'll find the solution and tell us the result of this mystery.

KInd regards Silke
    radger likes this.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

with small differences but it is a movement of Japy freres called Beaucourt
    regards enrico
    RTB likes this.

I'm not sure Enrico about Japy freres/Beaucourt France. They build as a rawmovement producer a high amound of movements with this "bubblegumbridge" (my personal word - sorry) Usually this movements are without any rubies and not finished in this way. For example the germans Eppner also have a complete in house movement with this "bubblegumbridge" in better quality but this is not a Eppner. May be the basic platine is Japy but its to nice for my opinion. As far as I know they sell those raw movements also without balance an escapementpart but usually with complete winding system. I'm not sure . Maybe you're right but my stomach says: No.

Kind regards Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; August 1st, 2014 at 20:00.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

I have to agree with Silke. While it has a blob bridge...my words lol they are too different in shape. I keep looking at the way the Winding arbor setup is. I have seen this on a few watches. So far the only identical shape is the one I found for Huguenin Vuillemin but I still don't think they were a maker. The bridge matching in shape is almost a must. If it was figured all 3 finger bridge watches were ELgin then you would miss all the others that were 3 finger bridge and not Elgin.

I think the way the regulator adjust the hairspring may be a key to who made it. I have been hunting for hours and have not found another that uses that method.
    SilkeN likes this.

I dont know if this helps,but after reading page 194 ,the word brothers could have a different meaning to immediate family.LIST OF MEMBERS OF THE CLOCKMAKERS' COMPANY OF LONDON, FROM THE PERIOD OF THEIR INCORPORATION IN 1631 TO THE YEAR 1732.1 By C. OCTAVIUS S. MORGAN, F.R.S., F.S.A. | Dr John R Ward - Academia.edu

Jacob Bouchet is listed page 200.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Apollonaught; August 2nd, 2014 at 10:39.

I appreciate the work. The records are for a time a minimum of 100 years before this movement would have been made. If they had been around for over 100 years I would expect to find more watches with this name on them.

Ah............,there must be something ,somewhere on the web though given it`s vastness of archives,just sorry that didn`t help.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information