UNUSUAL? small chinese duplex.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By artb

Thread: UNUSUAL? small chinese duplex.

UNUSUAL? small chinese duplex.

Bought yesterday 37mm movement in original 1850 style 44mm silver key wind case. Has movement appearance and engraving identical to common 1920? late model 58mm JUVET shown here, not mine, except only visible jewel is balance ruby cap and it has a bat wing balance. Made to be a lady watch? Very fine quality movement engraving with unmarked roman numeral white dial and fancy hands. Will add actual photo. artb

Name:  1330943018.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  149.6 KB
    Last edited by artb; February 14th, 2015 at 09:40.
    anzac1957, James A, SilkeN and 1 others like this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: UNUSUAL? small chinese duplex.

Man, oh man - where do you stumble across these?! By "Chinese" I presume you mean Swiss and made for the Chinese market?!

Hartmut Richter

Hallo ArtB,
    I don't think that it is a woman watch. These "Midi" sized swiss watches, I've noticed in a quite high number for the asia market beside the usual size. From china down to india. I've asked some india people at my working place if it was usual over there (may be depending on their clothes) to wear very smal watches but I they don't know the answer. I'd asked here also and I showed as an example you can see in the attachment a very small Billodes from india with 3,5 mm in "male style". Of course a very simple watch with a 15 jewel lever movement in a typical english brige adaption. Except for its size not comparable
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by SilkeN; February 14th, 2015 at 23:10.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Man, oh man - where do you stumble across these?! By "Chinese" I presume you mean Swiss and made for the Chinese market?!

Hartmut Richter
    YES, except the little one seems to be made for universal sale, including CHINA because of bat wing balance, and because of there being no Chinese markings. Learned today from chronometer enthusiast and skillful renovator DAVE COOPER that he also is expert about history and technology of the 1850-1920 poor performance chinese duplex Swiss made varieties. Considers this small sized one very unusual. He has it for its first servicing. Is old and with neglected appearance, gold flashed engraved movement looks near new, and little used. It seems to be intact. So I was pleased to get it from daughter of NAWCC member recently deceased so no info available about it. Will have before and after photos of it from Dave. artb

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post

Hartmut Richter
    At least as per Daniels the term(at least I've always seen/heard it used) refers to movement with a sweep second hand, duplex escapement, and running at 14,400 bps. On a watch so set up, the second hand will "jump" once per second, which-again as per Daniels, was preferred in the Chinese market at the time.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

As I understand it the 'Chinese Duplex' (aka 'Crab Tooth Duplex') escapement was created by Edouard Bovet back around 1830 along with a train layout with an off-set 2nd wheel allowing the 4th wheel to be centrally located. The combination of these features resulted in a big sweep hand that appeared to move once per second. The sweep hand movement was also made with other more conventional escapements.

Interestingly the Chinese preference for a sweep second hand seems to have persisted into the modern period. When China's watch industry got started in the late 1950s, all the movements introduced featured directly-driven central second hands, including for pocket watches. Even the standard design for budget alarm clocks introduced in 1958 was thus equipped.

As to how the Chinese Duplex does the one-second jump; unlike a conventional Duplex escapement, the teeth are arranged such that the escape wheel appears to stop for most of one second even while the balance is allowed to swing freely. However if you watch the second hand very closely you will see it take tiny steps between the big steps.

Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

CHASCOMM; THANKS for your great concise explanation about the chinese duplex. I did not get the odd little one serviced. Now 2 weeks later i started new thread about it. artb

Thread Information