Update Barn Find Rolex: Opinions Needed
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Update Barn Find Rolex: Opinions Needed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Update Barn Find Rolex: Opinions Needed

A short while back I posted this fortunate thrift find Rolex Precision. Watch is now at my watchmaker and I am torn as to whether to have the case polished or not. I am aware of the general consensus against polishing. Just not clear whether this applies to any and all situations. My watch maker is confident of his polishing skills, seems to know how his model should be polished and has a strong opinion that a Rolex should look better than this does and is in favor of polishing. I am intending to wear this watch at least somewhat and I would like it to look nicer. But of course do not want to lose significant value. And it's not like it's a rare or highly collectible model. So before making a final decision I was hoping for a few additional thoughts from this group whose opinions I greatly respect.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Update Barn Find Rolex: Opinions Needed

Ask to see an example of a similar condition watch which he has polished, and see what you think of the results. Ultimately it's your watch, if you're planning on wearing and not selling I'd say a very light polish is fine. However, I have asked for a very light polish and had a beautiful 14K Omega so over polished that it almost completely removed the crisp 14K mark.
    I'd love to see the end result when you get the watch back, polished or not!
    bsshog40 and esdy_11192 like this.

The case could definitely be improved by a proper refinishing, but I'm just not in a position to know if your watchmaker really knows how to do it. It's a risk.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I remember what you bought it for. It was a super score. Even if it is crappy polished by an eBAY fly by night person you are still going to make bank on the watch due to the price you paid.

That said, a light polish that does not remove the crispness and lines of the case should be fine.

I think you might be surprised how good this watch will look after you replace the crystal.

If you polish the case it will not make that much difference, but the new crystal will. Tell your watchmaker that he's allowed to do only hand polishing using cape cod, no tools!
    OhDark30 and grifball like this.

Quote Originally Posted by QuartzCrisis View Post
    I think you might be surprised how good this watch will look after you replace the crystal.

If you polish the case it will not make that much difference, but the new crystal will. Tell your watchmaker that he's allowed to do only hand polishing using cape cod, no tools!
    I'd go this route as well. If he sends you pictures once the rest is cleaned up and you want the case polished, you can always do that. If he polishes it and then you decide you wish he hadn't, you're SOL.

Go ahead and get it polished. If you plan to wear it, then it might as well look as nice as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Toothbras likes this.

Take a market price size deposit from this watchmaker, if he destroys the watch, you keep the money :D
    Chaos is my focus

Quote Originally Posted by QuartzCrisis View Post
    This.
    And you can have him polish the bezel as these were polished from the factory. Then a very light touch on the case to restore luster and that watch will look like a million bucks.
    Giotime and busmatt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by fourthirteen View Post
    This.
    And you can have him polish the bezel as these were polished from the factory. Then a very light touch on the case to restore luster and that watch will look like a million bucks.
    Yes. My watchmaker mentioned this, i.e. that the bezel was factory polished as was the caseback. The remainder of the case should be lightly brushed with even the grain of the brush strokes going in particular directions. There are enough gouges on the case that I am sure that if I have him polish the case the lines will be at least slightly changed. So I'll discuss it with him again and make a decision soon. Thanks to all for the helpful discussion. I'll post photos when all is said and done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information