Update on Girard Perregaux watch

Thread: Update on Girard Perregaux watch

Update on Girard Perregaux watch

On the advice of others who are more knowledgeable, I got a leather strap for this watch.

So far I've worn it a few days and I have to say that I'm surprised by how accurate this super old manual wind movement is. I don't count the seconds or anything but this thing is literally accurate up to the minute every time I wear it.

I ticks really loudly at least compared to quartz watches (I've never owned a mechanical watch before). Is this normal?

Here's some wrist shots. I'm thinking about replacing the crystal which has a crack in it. There is actually a nonworking model of this watch on sale on ebay right now. The outside numbers are red instead of black, and I'm thinking about buying this nonworking model just for the crystal...Good idea or bad idea?

Re: Update on Girard Perregaux watch

also does this watch need to be serviced? I live in Buffalo NY; are there any good watch service places around where I live?

It is usual to get an 'unknown' watch serviced.

You should not need to buy another watch just for the crystal. Round crystals come in all sizes, and can be supplied generically. It is a simple job to do, and can be done when the watch is serviced for only a minor extra charge.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As trim says, just get the watchmaker to put a new one on. The crack may not look much, but water can get in through it and cause damage to the dial and corrosion to the movement. And yes it should be serviced - await recommendations from US members.

That's a fine looking watch you have there.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

I see one AWCI watchmaker in Buffalo. Check these watchmaker search engines in our Links and Articles section.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information