Vacheron and Constantin Dial Athentication Check? Service Cost by Vacheron?

Thread: Vacheron and Constantin Dial Athentication Check? Service Cost by Vacheron?

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    141

    Vacheron and Constantin Dial Athentication Check? Service Cost by Vacheron?

    Hello,

    I may quickly be acquiring a Vacheron and Constantin watch and would like to know if anybody is familiar with the design or can tell me if it looks genuine or refinished. My educated guess would be that is is refinished, since there is no "swiss" at the bottom.

    The caliber seems to be a 466. Usually I see 466/3b's. The straight 466 doesn't come along too often, it seems.

    As a second question, I was wondering if you could estimate the cost Vacheron would charge to completely restore the watch. I couldn't afford a $2,000 restoration, nor would I if I could. It's just rediculous! But I also want the dial looking good again, ideally like original, and not bauched by a third party watchmaker.

    Thank you,
    David




    Last edited by ddashoff699; January 15th, 2013 at 04:22.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    986

    Re: Vacheron and Constantin Dial Athentication Check? Service Cost by Vacheron?

    As far as restoration goes, the only things you need is to get the watch movement cleaned, a new crystal, and get the dial repainted if you don't like it the way it is. Any watchmaker can overhaul a simple manual wind movement like that. At worst, you may be talking about a couple hundred bucks. Not sure if I would get the dial repainted.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    141

    Re: Vacheron and Constantin Dial Athentication Check? Service Cost by Vacheron?

    I contacted Vacheron and they said they will not refinish the dial and leave it at that. I can either have the entire thing restored or nothing at all.

    That's why I'm concerned. I have a wonderful watchmaker that could service the movement expertly for less than $200. The problem is I don't have that option.

    I'm not sure if I want it repainted either, but it's definitely on the table at this point.


    ,David

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Marrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    7,743

    Re: Vacheron and Constantin Dial Athentication Check? Service Cost by Vacheron?

    IMHO the dial is lovely as it is. Nice high quality watch.Name:  Thums.gif
Views: 586
Size:  756 Bytes
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

    Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)


    Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

  6. #5
    Member Tick Talk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Waaaay Up North - Canada
    Posts
    1,489

    Re: Vacheron and Constantin Dial Athentication Check? Service Cost by Vacheron?

    Hi David: Indeed your watch dial was refinished and rather poorly as the shellac has cracked noticably. You are absolutely correct that a missing SWISS is the first sign of a redial, as well as the mssing accent in GENÈVE. I'd also question the positioning of the applied indexes! Your cal. 466 is distinguished by it's simple regulator vs the "pitchfork" style of regulator found on later versions.

    Name:  466-3B.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  83.8 KB

    VC restorations are very expensive and you could easily exceed $2k on this watch. OTOH, they would have the archival records and photos, and perhaps even NOS dials, to make this piece like-new. Its a real problem as the simple timepieces are being scrapped for gold content due to the cost of proper restorations vs their low collector's value if anything other than entirely original. If you are soliciting advice, I would walk away from this watch and keep saving for a better example that doesn't need restoration!
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    141

    Re: Vacheron and Constantin Dial Athentication Check? Service Cost by Vacheron?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tick Talk View Post
    Hi David: Indeed your watch dial was refinished and rather poorly as the shellac has cracked noticably. You are absolutely correct that a missing SWISS is the first sign of a redial, as well as the mssing accent in GENÈVE. I'd also question the positioning of the applied indexes! Your cal. 466 is distinguished by it's simple regulator vs the "pitchfork" style of regulator found on later versions.

    Name:  466-3B.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  83.8 KB

    VC restorations are very expensive and you could easily exceed $2k on this watch. OTOH, they would have the archival records and photos, and perhaps even NOS dials, to make this piece like-new. Its a real problem as the simple timepieces are being scrapped for gold content due to the cost of proper restorations vs their low collector's value if anything other than entirely original. If you are soliciting advice, I would walk away from this watch and keep saving for a better example that doesn't need restoration!
    Thank you for your thorough response! Is it true that Vacheron will not touch the dial unless they give the entire watch a restoration? Or can I get them to just deal with the dial?

    ,David

  8. #7
    Member Tick Talk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Waaaay Up North - Canada
    Posts
    1,489

    Re: Vacheron and Constantin Dial Athentication Check? Service Cost by Vacheron?

    Quote Originally Posted by ddashoff699 View Post
    Is it true that Vacheron will not touch the dial unless they give the entire watch a restoration? Or can I get them to just deal with the dial?
    VC applies a very strict ethic to restorations, and it is "take it or leave it". The result they insist upon is that any timepiece leaving the restorations department qualifies for a VC Certificate of Authenticity. The first step is to examine the watch and movement to identify any worn, damaged or unoriginal parts. Next, they provide a cost estimate in two parts; required work and optional. Required work is what they deem necessary to return or maintain the watch in authentic, original condition. Optional work is typically case polishing (if no damage was repaired, in which case it would be required), new strap and buckle, and new or restored dial (again, only if original dial is present would this be optional). So, in reality the customer is not in charge of the process. The result is marvelous, however
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

  9. #8
    Member georges zaslavsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Croissy sur Seine, France
    Posts
    12,381

    Re: Vacheron and Constantin Dial Athentication Check? Service Cost by Vacheron?

    It is an authentic vintage Vacheron the caliber is based on the famous Jaeger Le Coutre calibre 478 but better decorated and improved
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

  10. #9
    Member HOROLOGIST007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Costa Blanca Spain
    Posts
    13,373

    Re: Vacheron and Constantin Dial Athentication Check? Service Cost by Vacheron?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tick Talk View Post
    VC applies a very strict ethic to restorations, and it is "take it or leave it". The result they insist upon is that any timepiece leaving the restorations department qualifies for a VC Certificate of Authenticity. The first step is to examine the watch and movement to identify any worn, damaged or unoriginal parts. Next, they provide a cost estimate in two parts; required work and optional. Required work is what they deem necessary to return or maintain the watch in authentic, original condition. Optional work is typically case polishing (if no damage was repaired, in which case it would be required), new strap and buckle, and new or restored dial (again, only if original dial is present would this be optional). So, in reality the customer is not in charge of the process. The result is marvelous, however
    That is the right and only way
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

    "Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •