Value of 1929 Illinois New Yorker?

Thread: Value of 1929 Illinois New Yorker?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Value of 1929 Illinois New Yorker?

Hello, Im trying to find out a general value of a 1929 Illinois New Yorker it is 17 jewels and has a number 162 14k gold filled wadsworth quality case. Apparently they are rare because I can't find any information beyone a picture of one. I haven't posted any pictures because I just need a general idea of worth thanks.

Re: Value of 1929 Illinois New Yorker?

Hi there and welcome,

you should read this on valuations:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/vin...les-67379.html

I would suggest looking on auction sites (ebay) to get an idea of value - search Deco (or 30s) 14k watch...

I just found this one:

Lds 14K White Gold Illinois 107 - 1930's - Art Deco | eBay UK

good luck!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Quote Originally Posted by deerhuntinsoldier View Post
    I just need a general idea of worth thanks.
    'Bout tree fiddy
    Courtesy of ULF.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In my experience, a watch is worth what someone will pay for it.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Hello thanks both for your replies, Sparcster I have been looking around on ebay but I believe that this watch has some more value because of the design and that it was made during the time Hamilton was taking over the company. If either one of you could find this watch somewhere and let me know how much it is being sold for I would greatly appreciate it because I have this one but have no idea of what its worth so I would hate to sell it for way under worth. Thanks again.

Ladies watches are particularly hard to value because 1. There is little watch collector intrest in ladies watches. 2. What value they have is due to their attractiveness as a piece of jewelery. I've studied just enough too know why some womens watches command a premium, your watch may fit the criteria but even with pictures, I couldn't say for sure.

nsmike thank you for your information Im suprised that you say that the new yorker is a ladies watch because it is a larger watch with a wide band I believed it to be a mens watch but I may be mistaken. The Farrell and Ann Guy Museum of Springfield History Illinois Watch Collection in this link if you go to the 3rd page on the left side it will show you 2 new yorkers in one picture the one I have looks like the one on the right. Thanks again.

Here is a mix of different Illinois watches - similar style/age

Men's 1929 STUNNING Illinois Marquis ART DeCo Watch | eBay UK

Vintage Illinois Wristwatch 17 Jewels w/14kt. Gold Case | eBay UK

Illinois 1930's Antique Wristwatch in Illinois Case! | eBay UK

In the late '20s, about the time Hamilton took over Illinois began commissioning its own unique wrist watch cases. The company cased and boxed its watches at the factory, marking the beginning of what many collectors consider the company's golden era. Models include the Piccadilly, Marquis, Chieftain, Ritz, New Yorker and Manhattan (the New Yorker has subsidiary seconds at 9:00; the Manhattan at 6:00), the Beau series (Beau Monde, Beau Geste, Beau Brummel, and Beau Royale), the Ensign, and the 14kt sold gold Council (also known as the Consul).

The top link is a 'Marquis' which seems to be in the same line as the New yorker....
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Forgot to say... all the ones I added links for are mens watches...

The one you added the link for looks a bit smaller??

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

My '02 Shuggart lists two watches described as "Manhatten or New Yorker", one "Manhatten" and one "New Yorker". Prices for the Gold Filled versions was between 195 and 325, while the 14k ones were 375-525. It also mentions that the Manhatten and the New Yorker were fundamentally the same watch (same grade and style of movement), with the only difference being that the New Yorker was sold with a leather band and the Manhatten with a metal band. You might want to get yourself an up-to-date Shuggart; there's probably more in the newer ones, and the prices will reflect the current gold values.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information