Verify GP Chronograph?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Roland Ranfft

Thread: Verify GP Chronograph?

iht

Verify GP Chronograph?

Is it strange that the "G" in "GIRARD PERREGAUX" is covered by the "11"? I guess this is a sign of a redial?

And is it bad that the movement looks so...dark?

Sorry if they are stupid questions! Thanks in advance.

Re: Verify GP Chronograph?

I can't comment about the movement pic, a quick google search of vintage GP chronos shows none that have the signature that high on the dial but I also couldn't Find any quickly with a centre tach 'snail', the numeral fonts and colouring look a little like other brand's early chronos - with red 'snails' but certainly no good original dial I know would have the signature under a number !!! So guessing 99.44% not original dial .. SDA

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalk
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

iht

Quote Originally Posted by Sdasurrey View Post
    I can't comment about the movement pic, a quick google search of vintage GP chronos shows none that have the signature that high on the dial but I also couldn't Find any quickly with a centre tach 'snail', the numeral fonts and colouring look a little like other brand's early chronos - with red 'snails' but certainly no good original dial I know would have the signature under a number !!! So guessing 99.44% not original dial .. SDA

Thanks for your analysis. Yeah, I feel the same way. The seller assured me it's 100% original...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Verify GP Chronograph?

Let's see what the aficionados say, who know a sxxxload more than me...!

I could easily be wrong... I'm a relative newbie in vintage, but being originally from the States but living in London, Americans tend to start with 'trust' in relationships etc and then people have to do things that cause trust to fall - other cultures are the opposite and start with zero trust and then trust has to be built up.

So I started this hobby more tending to believe what sellers say - while everyone here counselled me from the beginning to take the opposite approach 'don't believe it's real until proven' so I have definitely learned to NOT believe something at face value until clearly proven

The other thing is certain brands, Omega, Rolex also have much greater incentive to fake things given prices and market perception - GP probably falls in that broad category.. Cheers - SDA

Edit - is this watch supposed to be gold ? If so what amount or probably plated ? As there aren't any solid gold hallmarks that I can see on an iphone ....

Last edited by Sdasurrey; July 26th, 2014 at 16:00.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

Yes, that's a truly bad redial. To begin with, GP signed their dials "Girard Perregeaux" and "La Chaux De Fonds" underneath (which is the correct name of the town, not "Chaux de Fonds".) I guess the only template at hand was a trifle too big so something had to be cut off. I don't want to quote myself, but once more I had to think of the elaborate 20-Dollar bill with Donald Duck instead of Andrew Jackson on the front side and his tiny shack instead of the White House on the back.

The movement is (once more) an early Landeron, if I see correctly (5-column pillar wheel, chronograph bridge, shape and location of balance cock), which (again to my best knowledge) were never used by GP.

I'd let go of this one.

Best,
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Hi there,

I believe that phone cams not only kick us back into the stone age of photography, but were created to make fakers happy. But this time the camera failed: After comparison with the other stamps in the back, the GP logo can still be recognised as lasered, etched, or milled, but not stamped.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Sdasurrey likes this.

Thread Information