Very Rare 1929 Marvin watch in double silver case..... JW? Movement ID?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Very Rare 1929 Marvin watch in double silver case..... JW? Movement ID?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Very Rare 1929 Marvin watch in double silver case..... JW? Movement ID?

Hi all,

Follwing David's recent thread - https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/wat...-c-702138.html - I to have found myself the proud owner of one of these rare watches!

The listing stated:

Very Rare Concealed Bottom Screw Bezel Silver Case Wrist Watch Not in working orderNo strapHairline to DialHallmarked for Glasgow 1929

and the few pics were not really selling it either (lucky for me).

Being the only bidder, I can only guess it was priced to high to start (put bidders off), or the collectors I appear to be up against did not see it - as it was listed badly... either way, it was a bit of a gamble with no movement pics.... but well worth taking imo!

I have given the watch a quick clear... and after a few stop/starts, the watch is ticking away as I write this! The watch arrived fully wound. Hopefully, the watch only needs a service... just glad to see its complete, not mangled, hairsprings ok, etc....

so, here it is... Case:

Notice the lack of crown....

With the bezel removed, the 'inner watch' hinges out to allow access to the crown for winding/setting

the inner watch also has a dust cover for extra protection

With the movement removed from the hinged carry ring, its easy to see the case markings:

You can clearly see the Borgel case mark F.B. and the import marks for glasgow 1929. The one item on the case that is still confusing me is the JW.... when I saw the listing, I had guessed this as saying J+W... but, the '+' is actually a bird?

The movement (comming to in a min) is a Marvin. My other Marvin Borgel, also hallmarked for Glasgow (1917) .... Also carries the sponsors mark JW

With no certainty, Im assuming this could be the same sponsor (as marks do change). Im also guessing, this may be James Weir of Glasgow.. looking at this list of makers marks (very bottom of the page), you can see he has a number of marks:

Glasgow Makers Marks (G-J)

But, as I say, Im only guessing, as I cant find another Glasgow based JW.... plus my new watch with the addition of a bird between J and W may be completely different - any ideas????

Moving onto the movement... (still ticking)

appears to be good quality... I had no clue to start with who the maker was....but with the dial off, it was clear!

Clear stamped MARVIN.... but im still no closer to an Cal Id.... movemnt size is a 10.5''' and here is a clearer pic of the setting (plate removed as I could not get the stem back in) gears/levers:

The dial cleaned up quite well, you can still see the hairline, but its no where near as bad!

As seen, the hands dont match! Im assuming the 'moon' style minute hand is original.... as it also matches the one drawn on the Patent application by Jean Finger - as shown on Davids thread:

Agian, quite happy with this one!!

Any info/thoughts on the movement ID or Sponsors mark JW... please let me know

A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: Very Rare 1929 Marvin watch in double silver case..... JW? Movement ID?

Well, much more of this and I'm giving up collecting!

Didn't spot that one at all - but then I'm trying not to look at the moment.

Congrats on a great, interesting find - yet again.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Well, much more of this and I'm giving up collecting!
    Well I hope not.... would be a shame if there was not someone snapping up bargain Peercee's......

Still ticking!!

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats on a rare watch, you don't see many of these.

I need a job where I can browse ebay all day.... like Marrick I never saw it.
    Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    I need a job where I can browse ebay all day.... like Marrick I never saw it.
    Well done.
    Cheers Radger,

As an architect, I dont think my boss would be happy to read that! I just search the right things!!!

Plus, the watch was on for 7 days - worldwide!

Guess I was just lucky!

Its been suggested the movement is a Marvin 500 cal.
    Last edited by Sparcster; June 9th, 2012 at 20:18.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

No info to ad except fantastic, beautiful watch. And a good deal!

That's a beautiful watch! Clean, plain, good-quality, and simple. Just what I like in a good watch.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by parrotandpitbull View Post
    No info to ad except fantastic, beautiful watch. And a good deal!
    Cheers P&P... Hopefully, once serviced..... it will run as good as it looks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    That's a beautiful watch! Clean, plain, good-quality, and simple. Just what I like in a good watch.
    Cheers Shangas,

With my recent love affair with military watches.... 'Clean, plain, good-quality, and simple' are all qualities I look for!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Great catch! Very nice.

No reason for the importer to be Glasgow based, just as likely to be London based.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Great catch! Very nice.

No reason for the importer to be Glasgow based, just as likely to be London based.
    Cheers Mirius....

Only assumed Glasgow, as both have glasgow import marks.... that said, I have also seen london based firms with glasgow import marks.....

There are plenty of London silversmiths - JW, but I have not seen a J 'bird' W before.... which I was hoping someone would have spotted!

Marc

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information