Victor of Switzerland

Thread: Victor of Switzerland

Victor of Switzerland

Hi All,

I have heard that 1960's Swiss made watches are hard to ID, however since I have this out of the box for the first time in years I thought I would ask the usual questions.

It was given to my father on his 21st birthday, which puts purchase in 1966. It's dial reads Victor. 17 jewels in cabloc. swiss made. It still works perfectly so I have no reason to open it up.

The case is 18kt gold, while the "Excalibar" strap is 9kt. The smaller marks under the case # read: "VeT" "18" "750" "X" "a symbol of some kind". The watch is about 5mm thick including the glass.

If anyone has any information on the brand or watch it would be greatly apprecaited ?

Picures attached.

Regards
    Simon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Victor of Switzerland

The hallmark is Swiss. The head is Helvetia and signifies 18ct gold, as does the .750 mark. The 102 refers to the case maker - Arnez-Droz & Cie:

http://www.thehourlounge.com/thread/...952_38952.html

Victor? I don't know. Mikrolisk gives 3:

http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php/280/letter_V

Perhaps someone else will know more.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

The three "Victor" trademarks that Marrick found don't seem likely for this watch; Illinois didn't exist in the 60's, this watch seems a bit high-end for Westclox/Timex, and the middle one doesn't seem to be a trade name so much as a symbol that contains the word "Victor", and probably doesn't apply to this watch.

Given the high-end casing, I'd be inclined to suspect that "Victor of Switzerland" was a reference to a jeweler rather then a watchmaker. A movement shot would help somewhat, but given the way that the swiss watch industry worked back then, we'd probably just see a typical ebauche.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Marrick and Rob, This is very helpful. Marrick it is interesting to see you are in Yorkshire. I don't know exactly where the watch was purchased, other than fairly locally, when my father and his parents lived in Macclesfield to the SW of your locale, where he was born. Kind regards Simon.

Cheers! Sorry we can't be more precise about the maker - there were lots of short lived brands that just aren't documented. Plus, as Rob says, it could have been a Jeweller's or department store own label. Being solid gold - 18ct at that - it would have been very expensive when new and will contain a decent movement. A nice watch.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thread Information