Vintage 18k IMPERIOS Chronograph (big pics warning)

Thread: Vintage 18k IMPERIOS Chronograph (big pics warning)

Vintage 18k IMPERIOS Chronograph (big pics warning)

This was my grandfathers grail watch and was purchased used in the 60's (my guess is that the watch is originally from the early 50's or late 40's). I am looking for any information I can get on the company. I have seen some other Imperios watches around but it seams that this company did not produce many watches. Does anyone have guesses on which movement is inside? The watch has an 18 Rubis movement and I have been unable to remove the case back myself to peak inside. I assume Rubis is nothing too special and only a different word for Jewels but let me know if I am wrong. The watch is branded swiss made and has a significant wrist presence with 20mm lugs. The entire case is 18k gold with 18k 0.750 displayed on the back along with 132. Does anyone know what the 132 means? (note: the serial number is displayed also so it is not that). I wanted to know what the outer blue numbers are used for ... is this a tachymeter (others I have seen only amount to 500 not 1000). What kind of person would need this functionality along with a 45 second and 60 second timer ? The dial is textures in a sweeping wave pattern. If anyone has even the most obvious information they can share with me about this watch or the company please let me know.

Thanks guys,

Frank
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Vintage 18k IMPERIOS Chronograph (big pics warning)

This is what Mikrolisk has:

Name:  imperios.jpeg
Views: 1058
Size:  94.8 KB

Its probably got a Landeron movement inside - the most prolific chronograph movement maker and usually with hands like that. Others will know more.

Great watch!
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Cool thanks for the help! Since the company does not use an accent over the E in Imperios in the watch I think we can conclude this watch is older than 1941. A start at least. Ya I read alot about the Landeron before and this was my guess given that it was a common generic movement.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Almost certainly a Landeron - it is slightly "lopsided" (the line between totalizers through the centre goes slightly below the middle of the crown). A little tip from Dr. Roland Ranfft.

Hartmut Richter

Thanks Dr. ! I never realized this. The crown is original and signed IMPERIOS, why do you think it doesn't line up. Poor construction, or damage from earlier service ? Given that it is a Landeron servicing should be easy and inexpensive correct?

I know one thing about it. It's way awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cicio View Post
    Why do you think it doesn't line up. Poor construction, or damage from earlier service?
    This is just the way they were made. I have seen suggestions that it was a misaligned tool, but that doesn't explain why it was never fixed in later calibres - 148 and 248.

Servicing any chrono isn't particularly cheap.

P.S. Lovely watch

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    This is just the way they were made. I have seen suggestions that it was a misaligned tool, but that doesn't explain why it was never fixed in later calibres - 148 and 248.
    Correct. By the way, I am not Dr. Ranfft! He is the owner of the "pink pages" of watch calibres plus more - plus also a member of Watchuseek; he once pointed out that little fact.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements

Hartmut Richter

Thanks for clarification Richter. Cool link :)

Thread Information