Vintage (1940's) Tissot Chrono

Thread: Vintage (1940's) Tissot Chrono

Vintage (1940's) Tissot Chrono

Hi,

I have an old Tissot Chrono which I never wear. It was produced for the South American market (that's why it has Tissot & Omega Watch Company written on the dial). It's a rather big watch (42mm) and has a Lemania 1280 movement.

I would like to sell this watch to finance for another watch.

Could any of you inform me on the value of this watch and/or the best way to try to sell it ?

Any additional information on the origin and history of this watch would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Johan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful watch

Well you started correctly but don't rush. Post the picture in various forums here. Omega for sure, pilots and military and ask around. Check other forums out.

Find a guide for prices, there are quite a few. Troll ebay for similar watches and note their prices.

A list of variables (which makes watch pricing difficult) in no particular order for every one to consider and comment on and not complete by any means:
    1. location, certain regions prize certain brands
    2. rarity (don't confuse obscure with rare)
    3. demand (linked to rarity)
    4. provenance (engraving usually detracts but can increase value if engraved with military marks or even a name and rank on a private watch; appeals to the military enthusiasts)
    5. condition (yours looks excellent)
    6. any work done, routine maintenance, dial redone, hands not original style all apply
    7. intrinsic value of metal
    8. crossover collectability, Omega with railway dial has two groups bidding for it; Omega collectors and railway enthusiasts
    With respect to the above, I don't know which applies so on the info I do know:

It's an attractive chronograph, seemingly perfect period dial in a case style reminiscent of the 1950-1960's, good manual wind, 2 subdial watch, no box or papers that you have mentione. The 'extra' that I see is the interesting and rare double brand name on the dial and the pulsimeter, which will appeal to the medical world (8. crossover).

A little late but, I have edited this, valuation is actually a very personal thing for both the buyer and seller. My previous estimate was for what I would be willing to pay for the watch after an inspection and is therefore highly subjective. Please accept my forwardness and I did not intend to imply that WUS would be involved in any way. Cheers, Geoff

Just a little note on rarity and value and location. Purchased a solid 18K gold Accutron Alpha circa 1960 (one of the first made) for $5 Canadian. It was not working and was in a junk drawer at a garage sale. $400 Canadian dollars later it was working and restored. Total cost $405 Canadian. On ebay 800 - 1200 Canadian. In Sydney, Australia met a dealer with a store specializing in Accutron 218 and 214 movements who sold the same watch in less appealing condition physically, for 3000 Canadian.

So what's it worth?

Cheers and I know this doesn't help but without knowing or researching more, I will leave that to you!

Geoff
    Last edited by 767Geoff; March 5th, 2007 at 02:03.

Re: Beautiful watch

Hi -

We have a sticky post in this forum about valuing vintage watches that is about as good as you will find anywhere on the internet.

We don't do valuations here: there are too many issues involved, not the least of which in these days of instant communications is liability.

Basically, what 767Geoff says is completely accurate: his guesstimate of the price is his opinion, though, and not that of WUS.

The simple question "What's it worth?" can be answered simply: it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. My wife, for instance, would ask you for money for her to take the watch (she doesn't even wear one, bless her), and there is certainly someone out there willing to pay top dollar for it. As a result, it's impossible to give a meaningful estimate, and as I said, we don't do valuations.

So, that said, the watch is eminently collectible for the reasons that 767Geoff gave. For that reason, you should be able to command a price that is above the average for any "normal" 1940s vintage Tissot. Your best probably way to determine a market price is to search on the internet for "Tissot chrono 1940s" or something similiar. Do the same on finished auctions on eBay, and you should be able to figure out what the market will bear. If you need to sell it quickly, then getting the price you want may be a matter of luck; if you can take your time selling it, then you will have a better chance in selling it at the market price.

Best of luck, that's a beautiful watch. If I didn't have three watches coming in and 5 bids in on eBay for watch parts, I'd consider making you an offer...

JohnF

PS: hey, that's right: offer it here on WUS and avoid the eBay costs. You might want to price it at what you paid for it to provide a starting point...
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

Re: Vintage (1940's) Tissot Chrono

Lemania 1280 and a watch from the 40ties ? I wouldn´t be sure of that. The cal. 1280 belongs to the 1276 family which (as far as I know) came onto market in the 50ties. The 1280 I know is fitted with an incabloc shock protection and was a Tri-Compax

The watch indeed looks like a watch of the 40ties. In 1929 Tissot and Omega merged into the "Société Suisse pour l'Industrie Horlogère SA (SSIH)" and Omega was responsible for the production of luxury watches. Tissot should fit the demand(s) in the mid-price-segment. So the Omega & Tissot signet (imprint) would make sense. But the watch should have then been equipped with - just a guess - Lemania cal. 15, Landeron cal. 48 because the 1280 is of a later period. So my guess would be: probably an inhouse Tissot movement, cal. 27 I guess.

Closer inspection of the dial makes me think that the dial could have been refreshed in the past. What disturbs me a bit is that the outer blue line is "damaged" at 6 (the 120 vanished), at 4 (broken),between 8 and 9 (broken) and at 3 there´s a pin hole and the inner minute line is broken like it is a 6 too.

Regarding pricing I´d like to second what John wrote. The simple question "What's it worth?" can indeed be answered simply: it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The circumstances I mentioned above would lower my bid.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; March 4th, 2007 at 16:59.

Thread Information