Vintage Automatic Tiffany - help required!
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Vintage Automatic Tiffany - help required!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Vintage Automatic Tiffany - help required!

G'day!

My father recently came across a long forgotten Tiffany he had, it's not in the best looking condition but it still works like a trojan and boy do the sweeping 'ticktickticks' sound brilliant.

The dilemma I face, is that he knows nothing about it. He's not really a watch person. And what's more frustrating, is that I cannot seem to find any information about this watch whats-so-ever on the interweb. The only thing I could find, was that older Tiffany's movement were made by a whole host of other watch companies.

I'd love some help with any information, such as: year/date of manufacture, model, automatic or manual wind, movement, real movement manufacturer etc.

Here are a couple pictures:

Name:  IMG_0668.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  429.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0669.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  513.5 KB

Thanks!
    Alex

Re: Vintage Automatic Tiffany - help required!

It is a 17 jeweled winder I suspect - easy to tell - probably from the 50's or early 60's. Tiffany never made junk so I am sure if you open up the back you'll find a good quality Swiss movement. Pics of that would provide more precise dating.

All Tiffany watches are made under contract to Tiffany by others. Sometimes who that was can be determined from markings. I see none so far.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

My first suggestion would be to take that watch to a watch repair shop for a proper cleaning/servicing.
    It looks like it has been neglected for a very long time and you wouldn't want to drive a car that hasn't had an oil change in decades.
    And it will look like a totally different watch when you get it back.

Once there, they can open up the back for you and you can take a picture of the movement so the group can give you much better idea of what you have.
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think that that is not a watch from Tiffany's but something else. The case looks like it's plated brass. But take it to a jeweler and see what they say.

Chad
    Popoki Nui likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadHahn View Post
    I think that that is not a watch from Tiffany's but something else. The case looks like it's plated brass. But take it to a jeweler and see what they say.

Chad
    Aren't most Tiffany watches marked Tiffany & Co. ??
    Popoki Nui likes this.

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Aren't most Tiffany watches marked Tiffany & Co. ??
    Well yeah, that's what I would have thought as well! Even watches from the 1920's to 1960's have all got Tiffany & Co. marked on them. It puzzles me
    even further.

Seeing as my father forgot about it all these years, it's clear why it has been neglected..I wish he took more care of it.
    He also has an Omega DeVille from 1979, but that is dead..apparently it would cost $800 and six months of part finding to get that back into shape
    I'm getting it sent to a watch jeweller to have it serviced and I'll ask them to take a photo of the movement; I wouldn't dare to try and remove the case back
    myself, in fear of impeding further damage.

I'll keep you all posted, thanks for the help thus far!

OK! SO. I have just received it back from the watch lady. It has come up trumps! Unfortunately, I was not the one who took the inside photo. I hope it provides you all with enough detail to decipher the movement manufacturer!

Alex

Name:  Front.JPG
Views: 446
Size:  758.8 KB

Name:  Back.JPG
Views: 428
Size:  832.4 KB

Name:  Inside.JPG
Views: 432
Size:  190.9 KB

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Many of the Tiffany watches I have seen had the movement marked too. I wouldn't call the AS movement example here particularly well finished. If this is a Tiffany watch, it is a low end model.

The caseback is a style used a lot in the 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Many of the Tiffany watches I have seen had the movement marked too. I wouldn't call the AS movement example here particularly well finished. If this is a Tiffany watch, it is a low end model.

The caseback is a style used a lot in the 50s.
    So you don't think it's a quality watch or ?
    What would the approximate insurance value be worth, also?

It's an heirloom, so I'll be holding onto it. Horologically speaking, is it any good?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information