Vintage Baume & Mercier Chronograph - Opinions?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Vintage Baume & Mercier Chronograph - Opinions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Baume & Mercier Chronograph - Opinions?

Just a novice here. Considering buying a vintage Baume & Mercier. Was wondering if anyone had any opinions on whether its been messed with, is legitimate, warnings, advice, etc. THANK YOU

Name:  baume1.jpg
Views: 2319
Size:  52.1 KBName:  baume2.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  81.7 KB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Vintage Baume & Mercier Chronograph - Opinions?

Welcome to the forum. I don't know whether it is a trick of the light but in the movement photo, the chronograph bridge (the bit with "Baume & Mercier" on it) is a little shinier than the rest of the movement. As if the original had been swapped into a differnet movement.....

In other words, I would run a mile! Maybe others will have and share more detailed knowledge but that is my 0.02$.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I don't know whether it is a trick of the light but in the movement photo, the chronograph bridge (the bit with "Baume & Mercier" on it) is a little shinier than the rest of the movement. As if the original had been swapped into a differnet movement.....

In other words, I would run a mile! Maybe others will have and share more detailed knowledge but that is my 0.02$.

Hartmut Richter
    I noticed that too... and the dial is a bit too clean (but that too may not mean anything). But for $0.02 I'd buy it! (Hartmut, can you loan me two cents?? LOL)

Seriously, without the watch in hand (from which more accurate judgments can be made) I would pay a lot less for this example than for a known good example. But, since there is a sucker born every minute, someone else will buy it for a lot more than I would.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree with Eeeb and Hartmut.
    If you told me that this watch originates from Argentina I wouldn't be surprised.
    FrenchKiss likes this.

Thanks guys! Certainly glad I asked but too bad since I think it's such a pretty watch. Here are two more photos, but I don't think they change anything.
    Name:  baume3.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  51.7 KBName:  $(KGrHqRHJEEFCdWy+d6eBQoFY!EW8w~~60_57.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  18.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    I agree with Eeeb and Hartmut.
    If you told me that this watch originates from Argentina I wouldn't be surprised.

B&M had many different dials and used foreign movements throughout. Therefore, to my opinion, the watch looks not unusual. It may have been restored using parts from other watches with the same movement, but I think it has been delivered like this in the first place. So if the asking price is still reasonable, I'd go for it.

Best regards
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

These dials do not correspond to any Swiss manufacturing designs nor the era the watch was made in.
    So as far as the dial is concerned - Far from being the real thing, and not even close to being a B&M.
    Apart of that everything could be OK but I would be very suspicious...

Sneaky. I would have been fooled with this one.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Hi Guys, I do not know if you can read this after 2 years but I have the same problem. I would like to buy this "vintage" B&M for 250 USD. I would like to know if you know something about the watch. If its original and any thoughts!
    Big hug

Sergio

Name:  20141116_221908.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  97.6 KBName:  lo.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  247.4 KB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Yes, We can read it - and welcome to the forum. I must say that, although I can't be certain (I'm not a B&M expert), I would have expected something better from B&M. Although they never made their own movements, they were a reasonably renowned maker. However, that watch looks just... - tacky. The movement has absolutely no finissage over and above factory finish (no polishing, gold plating, etc.) and the case is obviously just chromed brass (at least the pushers are). The movement is also unsigned. I would be very suspicious of this and for 250 bucks, I would not touch it.

Hartmut Richter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information