Vintage beat up Longines Automatic - is it worth servicing?
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Watchette
  • 2 Post By mkws
  • 2 Post By DaBaeker
  • 1 Post By Paleotime

Thread: Vintage beat up Longines Automatic - is it worth servicing?

Vintage beat up Longines Automatic - is it worth servicing?

This watch belonged to someone dear to me who has passed on. May he rest in peace. I had his watch tucked away and just remembered it today. I laughed a little because he has a Speidel stretchy band on it. There are no markings on the back except a personal inscription and "remove bezel to use 1260 wrench" and "stainless steel 10k goldfilled cap." There are five stars above the word "Admiral" in script on the dial. I cannot find a model or serial number. I know it was a gift to him in 1971 (inscription). The crystal is scratched up terribly but the watch works. The day of the week is supposed to be on the aperture left of the date but it's worn off. No idea how you could wear that off under the crystal. Anyway, here's a picture. I would get a new crystal and leather strap and be happy to wear it myself. Is it worth it? Opinions? I welcome any info. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

James A and busmatt like this.
    “There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke
    But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late”

Re: Vintage beat up Longines Automatic - is it worth servicing?

In my honest opinion, every watch of sentimental value is worth restoring. If the crystal is only scratched, not broken, maybe you can repair it with some Polywatch, though a new crystal should be easily available and not costly at all.
    As much as it can be argued, whether the Speidel bracelet fits the 70s looks of the watch or not, I absolutely agree a leather strap would be a good idea.
    As to how the inscriptions on the day wheel could wear out... There can be a number of factors I can think of, which could have (but not necessarily did) affect the paint. Long exposures to sunlight, maybe in combination with humidity and high temperatures...
    If you want to know more about the watch, you'd have to take the caseback off, find the calibre number on the movement (a serial number should be there as well), and do a research based on that- or you can just simply e-mail the Longines heritage watches department once you find the serial number. They're usually helpful.
    Watchette and Paleotime like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    In my honest opinion, every watch of sentimental value is worth restoring. If the crystal is only scratched, not broken, maybe you can repair it with some Polywatch, though a new crystal should be easily available and not costly at all.
    As much as it can be argued, whether the Speidel bracelet fits the 70s looks of the watch or not, I absolutely agree a leather strap would be a good idea.
    As to how the inscriptions on the day wheel could wear out... There can be a number of factors I can think of, which could have (but not necessarily did) affect the paint. Long exposures to sunlight, maybe in combination with humidity and high temperatures...
    If you want to know more about the watch, you'd have to take the caseback off, find the calibre number on the movement (a serial number should be there as well), and do a research based on that- or you can just simply e-mail the Longines heritage watches department once you find the serial number. They're usually helpful.
    Thank you. I will definitely email Longines. Thanks for explaining how the "day" could wear off. The young man who owned it sailed and was a water skier. I think this watch is waterproof and he probably wore it. I really appreciate your taking the time to answer me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

absolutely is a vintage gold Longines Admiral worth restoring. Take it to a watchmaker familiar with vintage service. It is one of the more desirable Longines models collected. good luck
    Watchette and Paleotime like this.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

"remove bezel to use 1260 wrench" often means that you must remove the bezel then the crystal to get at the movement so don't try to remove the back unless you are sure it comes off. Sometimes it's both but be sure first. If the back is gold I'd bet it won't come off but if it's stailess steel it will.
    Last edited by Shum; February 22nd, 2015 at 02:57.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    absolutely is a vintage gold Longines Admiral worth restoring. Take it to a watchmaker familiar with vintage service. It is one of the more desirable Longines models collected. good luck
    Thank you! I will definitely look into getting it restored. If for no other reason than I would like to wear it myself. I appreciate the info.

+1...I would find a good watchmaker and have it serviced.
    James A likes this.

Thread Information