WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Vintage Breitling AOPA Navitimer Originality Help

750 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  WatchFred 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have the opportunity to purchase this vintage Breitling AOPA Navitimer. From the research that I've done, it appears to be a 1964 transitional model with a coin edge. I am waiting on case back pictures and better close up pictures, but would like to know if the dial appears original. Also I have seen the outer white section of the dial rotated in different places on other similar watches. Is this moveable? or is it out of place on this watch. The crystal is scratched but I think it could be buffed out. Lastly, I am well aware of the valuation rules, but have struggled to find auction results. I would be in to this watch about $2500. Does that seem reasonable or should I wait for a stronger example? I sincerely appreciate the help!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The outer dial rotates with the bezel, it is a slide-rule watch. I'm surprised you have struggled to find auction results, because these sell all the time; you should keep doing your research. In any case, $2,500 would be an extraordinarily good price for an all-original 1964 ref 806. Is the seller representing that this is all original? Much better photos will needed to judge condition. The outer ring looks too bright to me, these generally fade over time. So it is likely a replacement. The sub-dials are also suspiciously bright, but maybe that is an artifact of the image. You will also need to determine whether the hands are original, and the condition of the case, case-back, and movement.

#3 ·
I think it was customary for the hands to be replaced any time the watch was serviced, so I don't think I would be concerned about them being original.. that goes for the outer ring too. If they were replaced with genuine Breitling parts, I would be okay with that. As far as price goes, a quick Ebay search shows them selling in the $2000-$3000 range. I think I would ask when it was last serviced and find out if it keeps good time. And like Dan said, make sure that case back is proper. Make sure it has the right model number on it.

#4 · (Edited)
I'm not saying that one should necessarily be concerned by the presence of authentic "service" parts, but the OP should be aware that the collectible value is greatly affected if the hands and outer dial ring are not original, and he did ask about originality. Of course, a lower price due to service parts can actually be a good thing for someone with a lower budget, if they're ok with the authentic-but-not-completely-original condition. These days, it is very unlikely that you will find an all-original AOPA 806 for under $3k, or even $3.5k, unless it is in very bad condition. You really need to know your stuff with these 806 Navitimers because there are a lot of them around, and values vary tremendously with condition/originality.

#5 ·
Hi Guys,
Thank you for the advice. It is being offered from the estate of a ww2 vet. I am told it runs but any specific information concerning service dates is unknown. These are the only other pictures I have. They are not great either but maybe will shed more light on originality.

Attachments

#6 ·
It actually looks pretty good to me, and the hands are either original or an old replacement given the aging of the lume. I would still guess that the slide rule ring is a service replacement. The lugs don't look badly polished. I think this version is pretty desirable, so this could be a pretty good deal. Hopefully Fred will chime in; he knows these models really well, and he will be able to say if these hands go with this dial, etc.

#7 ·
I agree with Dan.. looks great! I like the bracelet.

I got this one from a friend. I was with him when he bought it from the original owner who got it in 1966. He wore it for a year and then asked me if I wanted it so he could use the money to buy a Ullysse Nardin watch.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

I love the size on these. This one had a solid 18K bracelet even though the case is base metal, but the owner wanted to keep the band for another watch so I put a leather band on it.
Ron

#8 · (Edited)
@OP: watch is perfectly correct and in truly exceptional condition, including the correct sliderule. service rerplacements very often are incorrect (i.e. a later design), this is just fine; see no indication the hands were replaced.

re vaulation - pricing on these very much depends on the dial condition; mediocre pieces (i.e "dead" darkened lume) in stainless sell around 2.5k, but truly excellent dials like this one from the "applied AOPA" period in 1964 and 1965 sometimes sell for double that or more.

go for it !!!! all it needs is a correct new plexi for around $10

@RonD - assume u are aware your Cosmonaute is a relume ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.