Vintage Bucherer ID

Thread: Vintage Bucherer ID

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Bucherer ID

I recently learned of a couple vintage watches that were my grandfather's and great grandfather's. I posted a couple weeks ago about a vintage Hamilton that was my great grandfather's and with Eeeb's help, I found a relatively local place to get the repairs it needs.

I'm back with one of two more vintage watches. I've read about the corporate history of Bucherer, but I'm interested in more information about this specific watch. I haven't been able to find any information online. Also, I don't have a way of opening the caseback at the moment, but I plan to pick up a case wrench. I'll post movement pictures when I get the case wrench.

I know that the value of a vintage Bucherer is generally not high and that's not my concern here anyway. It's of sentimental value to me. I just want to know more about the watch. I particularly like the red seconds hand. Hard to read in the photo, but on the caseback is 4806.

What I do know: My grandfather picked it up while in Europe, probably in the 60s.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Name:  20121125_180143.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  46.7 KB
    Name:  20121125_180203.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  75.5 KB

Re: Vintage Bucherer ID

I would think this to be a fairly early automatic from the 50s but the movement might help date it. These Bucherers are amazing bargains. All were good quality and since no one in the States has ever heard of them, they go on eBay for less than comparable watches. A polishing cloth will bring out the golden luster and it will look superb! Nice heirloom.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

it must be powered by an AS or an ETA automatic
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The case wrench arrived and so here's a shot of the movement. I can take additional photos and/or use a better camera if necessary. This was just a quick snapshot with my phone.

There was quite a bit of rust under the case back, as you can see along the edge of the case. I don't know the best way to clean that, other than take it to a watchmaker, so I've left it for now. I was afraid of getting any in the movement and fouling things up.

I should probably have it serviced first, but I've got a strap on the way that should get here tomorrow and I'm eager to wear it.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

And there I was, close to answering ol' G.Z. "...or Felsa" (to complete the trio of ESA's generic makers of automatic movements at that time)! Maybe I should have done (since there was no exclusive affinity of Bucherer to ETA or AS). And a Felsa it is - the good old Bidynator:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Felsa 690 Bidynator

What makes me wonder a little is the "Tevo" on the rotor. This belonged to Joseph Tschuy-Vogt of Grenchen. Did they assemble the watch for Bucherer or are we looking at a mariage?!

Hartmut Richter
    Last edited by Hartmut Richter; December 7th, 2012 at 21:40. Reason: Additional info

Thanks Hartmut for the information. I was able to find that Tevo did produce movements for Bucherer so this does not seem out of the ordinary.

The band I ordered finally arrived, so I can strap this on tomorrow! I went with the Hirsch Duke in Brown with a gold buckle. Looks pretty good to me.

So I've been wearing this the last couple days and it's been running consistently about +2 minutes over 24 hours. This morning I noticed that it had stopped running even though I've been wearing it for about 15 hours a day, gave it a quick wind and it started back up again, but I decided that now was the time to get it serviced. I dropped it off at a local watchmaker at lunch today. When I talked to him about servicing it, he said it was going to be expensive and then dropped a total $50 charge on me. I was expecting more than that...about 3 times as much at least. My only reservation is when I mentioned that the gasket for the caseback was rotted and asked if he'd be able to replace it, he said no.

Quote Originally Posted by lactardjosh View Post
    So I've been wearing this the last couple days and it's been running consistently about +2 minutes over 24 hours. This morning I noticed that it had stopped running even though I've been wearing it for about 15 hours a day, gave it a quick wind and it started back up again, but I decided that now was the time to get it serviced. I dropped it off at a local watchmaker at lunch today. When I talked to him about servicing it, he said it was going to be expensive and then dropped a total $50 charge on me. I was expecting more than that...about 3 times as much at least. My only reservation is when I mentioned that the gasket for the caseback was rotted and asked if he'd be able to replace it, he said no.
    For that kind of price you are probably not getting a disassembly -- just a dip in solvent and a subsequent lube. Not a good service.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    For that kind of price you are probably not getting a disassembly -- just a dip in solvent and a subsequent lube. Not a good service.
    Yeah, that's my feeling at this point, too.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Plus the fact that you would expect that he has access to a new case back gasket - they are fairly generic.

Hartmut Richter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information