Vintage Bulova
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Vintage Bulova

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gift Vintage Bulova

My grandfather just passed away last month and left me this watch!

Apparently he found it and wore it for a very long time. He only stoped wearing it after my grandmother bought him a Rolex

Figured I would post up some pictures as it's pretty neat!

Will be doing some research on it to find out more info but if anyone knows anything about this watch any info is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Jay

Mike L and DragonDan like this.

Re: Vintage Bulova

A very nice Bulova "23" (yeah, that's the highly original name they gave it) from 1957. This link has some ads for the 1956 version: Vintage Bulova Watch Ads | myBulova.com

Yours looks like the one in the second row (second from the left).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    A very nice Bulova "23" (yeah, that's the highly original name they gave it) from 1957. This link has some ads for the 1956 version: Vintage Bulova Watch Ads | myBulova.com

Yours looks like the one in the second row (second from the left).
    Sweet! Thanks for the link/info...

It's interesting to see a Rolex bracelet on this. I'm not sure why he would have done that as the bracelet is probably worth more than the watch is.

Although I don't know when exactly he found this watch? Maybe it already had the Rolex bracelet on it?? I doubt it, and I do remember my dad saying something about there possibly be extra links.

Anyway, a neat watch none the less!

Cheers,

Jay

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like the elegance of that style of lugs. I would get that watch serviced and enjoyed.

Great watch, and although that bracelet is not something I'd normally want on it, the ensemble has the unique history of being put together, loved and worn by your grandfather, and shows the all the wear he gave it. Priceless.

Get it serviced and enjoy it!
    "My grail showed up today"

Thanks guys!

I'm not sure about the bracelet. It is VERY loose inbetween the links and I'd probably need one or two more links put in for it to fit, which I'm not sure my grandmother has??

I don't know if it's even possible to buy links for this old of a bracelet anymore, and/or what the cost would be. The bracelet is 14k gold plated so I don't think that comes cheap!

But I'll take it into a local watch shop and see what they say!

Cheers,

Jay.

Many (including me) would suggest swapping for a good leather strap; metal bracelets tend to dig into the lugs, which is especially problematic with fancy lugs like this on this. A bund style (which puts a strip of leather between the watch case and your wrist) is highly recommended for gold-filled cases that have brassing on the lugs/back, because the exposed base metal tends to react to sweat, causing pits in the material.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Jay, I remember an article in one of the last NAWCC Bulletin magazines on those "23s". They had unbreakable mainsprings, and were made entirely in the USA. Ron

Thanks everyone...I looked at the advertisement/link that AbslomRob posted up and it looked like this watch sold for around $125. I know putting a value on this watch is pretty much useless, but I'd be interested to know, via PM or post, what this thing might be worth...Similar ones are going on ebay for around $200-$300, but they don't have the diamonds or don't look gold plated...Any guesses??PS. I did read the sticky regarding values but I thought I would ask anyway :)

Quote Originally Posted by JAYMAC10 View Post
    Thanks everyone...I looked at the advertisement/link that AbslomRob posted up and it looked like this watch sold for around $125. I know putting a value on this watch is pretty much useless, but I'd be interested to know, via PM or post, what this thing might be worth...Similar ones are going on ebay for around $200-$300, but they don't have the diamonds or don't look gold plated...Any guesses??PS. I did read the sticky regarding values but I thought I would ask anyway :)
    We'll the Lawyer just asked what the value of this watch is for Estate purposes...

Could someone PM me with their best guess as to what they think the value of this watch could be?

I'm figuring around the $500 range given the gold plating and gold Rolex bracelet....

But any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information