Vintage Buren Venus 170 Chronograph
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Vintage Buren Venus 170 Chronograph

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Buren Venus 170 Chronograph

I have been looking to add an up-down style chronograph to my collection for quite some time.

I 've restricted mysellf to a strict budget of 300$ and came accross this one.I'm assuming almost everything is original on this Buren (always open to corrections), but the watch looks a little tired.Chronograph functions work.I understand it is a venus 170 which is quite generic and a low beat calibre.The movement has got the "wxc" stamp as well, which I'm guessing is some sort of an import code.

My question is whether I should keep looking out for something better(in terms of a fresher looking watch overall) to materialise in this budget or am I wonking a budget that's too low.I am not interested in a no-name chronograph as the watch company's history matters a lot to me personally. I've seen a lot of horrible re-dials floating around and I'm not interested in them as well.

Attaching pics for your reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

bobbee, Dhillon and Case61 like this.

Re: Vintage Buren Venus 170 Chronograph

What you call 'tired' is actually patina, acquired over the years, and part of the watch's history. The dial looks nice to me and so does the movement.

Have it serviced by a pro and it will be a trusty watch for decades to come.

Best,
    Tomcat
    bobbee, kazrich and Dhillon like this.
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

I think it looks pretty good....Venus 170 - great column wheel movement and looks OK - I service all my watches so they will last and a proper service will cost you more than the watch.... As far as I can tell it looks all original although I'm no expert on this brand so a bit of a guess...All hands look original and nicely blued...Dial as Tomcat says is full of vintage appeal....For me it's mostly about the shape and condition of the lugs...I don't mind if they are dinged up but as long as all the character hasn't been polished out of them. These are sensational looking lugs....Not sure if the case is base metal or SS but the back is SS. A vintage chronograph with column wheel movement that is likely original (I doubt that the crown is original) for $300 - sounds pretty good to me....
    bobbee likes this.
    So many watches.....so little time.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jackruff View Post
    I think it looks pretty good....Venus 170 - great column wheel movement and looks OK - I service all my watches so they will last and a proper service will cost you more than the watch.... As far as I can tell it looks all original although I'm no expert on this brand so a bit of a guess...All hands look original and nicely blued...Dial as Tomcat says is full of vintage appeal....For me it's mostly about the shape and condition of the lugs...I don't mind if they are dinged up but as long as all the character hasn't been polished out of them. These are sensational looking lugs....Not sure if the case is base metal or SS but the back is SS. A vintage chronograph with column wheel movement that is likely original (I doubt that the crown is original) for $300 - sounds pretty good to me....
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is it about the lugs being spectacular?Am I missing something?

Also I'm fine with the patina, more worried about the dings and dents on the case/pushers.Is there a way to take care of them without polishing them?Buren as I understand is a respectable swiss brand credited with collaboration for the first automatic chronograph, does a generic movement such as the Venus 170, make it any less desirable compared to, say, a valjoux of those times?

Best regards

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

There does not look to be too much wrong with the case/pushers, just normal wear and tear that adds to the charm of the watch, showing it has had a useful life, not left in a display case/sock drawer. Beautifully patina, good layout and colour.
    If you don't think those lugs are a bit gorgeous, maybe this is not the watch for you!
    jackruff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    If you don't think those lugs are a bit gorgeous, maybe this is not the watch for you!
    Good one!

Honestly, I've seen these curved lugs on vintage watches mostly and thought it was par for the course.

I'm so tired of re-dials and evaluating just about every up-down chrono from this era within my tight budget constraints that I just want it to be right when I get one. Maybe that's what's making me ask such stupid questions.Apologies.
    bobbee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WATCH-er View Post

Buren as I understand is a respectable swiss brand credited with collaboration for the first automatic chronograph, does a generic movement such as the Venus 170, make it any less desirable compared to, say, a valjoux of those times?

Best regards
    Ehhhmm,let's not get to the first automatic chronograph movement.Those threads discussing who was the first caused Ernie Romers selling WUS to a third party,because he was tired of banning Zenith and Seiko people who claim first ( Sorry just saw Ernie's message and am shocked )

Buren actually is a desired brand,it manufactured premium pocket-watches, WW I trench watches,but I think their most important contribution to the world of horology is the micro rotor. Since Lemania,Valjoux,Landeron and Venus were the premium chrono manufacturers back then,their movements are always respected, doesn't matter cased by which brand.For 300 US$ it's a great buy IMO. But when I think of Buren, I think of Super Slender.
    Last edited by Emre; October 9th, 2014 at 22:55.
    James A, bobbee and Giotime like this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    Ehhhmm,let's not get to the first automatic chronograph movement.Those threads discussing who was the first caused Ernie Romers selling WUS to a third party,because he was tired of banning Zenith and Seiko people who claim first ( Sorry just saw Ernie's message and am shocked )
    Tired of all the bateing behaviour from unbelievers - consider yourself in top place on the hotlist for lengthy bans! As for the topic, I think all the arguments are best summarised here (in case someone who hasn't read it all stumbles in and cares to wade through it all):

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/ham...c-1057700.html

As for Ernie, Yes I know - dunno what to say either......

Hartmut Richter

Ahha here is a Zenithman who escaped the slaughter>I am tellin ya they didn't spare anyone,this must have escaped because he is moderator :P

Hooray!
    I have been trying to get hold of a Buren venus 170 chronograph for a good three years.
    And my luck was in as I managed to win one and was very surprised how cheap I got it £171+P+P
    As you will see below it is in need of a small repair and also would benefit from a clean and service.
    I fell in love with this timepiece the first time I seen one, and had to have one no matter what!
    You can imagine the grin on my face now that I own this little beauty.
    Correct me if I am wrong but it looks to be 1930s and the earlier of this chronograph by Buren.
    It seems very clean but I don't think it has had a re-dial it looks very original.
    I would appreciate any information about this model, is it as scarce as I think it is?
    as it took a while for one to come up for auction!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information