Vintage Certina Waterking - information and opinions
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By hunab-ku
  • 1 Post By Shum
  • 1 Post By Shum

Thread: Vintage Certina Waterking - information and opinions

Vintage Certina Waterking - information and opinions

Hello everyone,

I bought this Certina Waterking 210 with the 25-651 movement a while ago. I am really in love with this little piece and it seems that it is from 1970 at most, according to the engraving date in the case. I would appreciate any information about the specific model, the movement and your opinion about its reliability, accuracy, quality, etc.

I have noticed that Certina is kind of underestimated in the US market while in Europe it is very well regarded. Any ideas on that?

Regards,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shum and LosAngelesTimer like this.

Re: Vintage Certina Waterking - information and opinions

I don't know if you will get much more information than is already apparent from your photos. The model name is written on the dial, and the movement caliber is indicated on the rotor. The date of purchase is also clear. Apparently a promotional watch given to employees on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the company. I think you will find that Certina is well-respected on this forum.

Maybe the higher level managers and executives got solid gold pieces.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by hunab-ku View Post
    Hello everyone,

I bought this Certina Waterking 210 with the 25-651 movement a while ago. I am really in love with this little piece and it seems that it is from 1970 at most, according to the engraving date in the case. I would appreciate any information about the specific model, the movement and your opinion about its reliability, accuracy, quality, etc.

I have noticed that Certina is kind of underestimated in the US market while in Europe it is very well regarded. Any ideas on that?

Regards,
    That's a great watch! I'm more of a Bulova guy, but that Certina is a classic!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The watch is from ca 1968 and the Waterking 210 is actually my favorite model and I'm working on one right now to be my personal watch as I sold the last one and have regretted it ever since. It is a smaller watch but so sleek and the caliber 25-651 is one of the greatest movements ever made and they polished parts only seen by the watchmaker so very nice to work on.

Take a look in my Certina thread to see more.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/ce...c-4669505.html

Great! Thank you all for the information. Do you have an opinion about the accuracy, robustness, durability, etc. of the watch??

Quote Originally Posted by hunab-ku View Post
    Great! Thank you all for the information. Do you have an opinion about the accuracy, robustness, durability, etc. of the watch??
    Like any good quality vintage watch, you can expect it to give good service if it is well-maintained. But you should not necessarily expect perfect accuracy, and also like all vintage watches, it should be treated with care and not abused or exposed to excess moisture.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

I have found that the caliber 25-651 in the right watch like the extra protected Certina DS often runs more or less as well as it was when new, but in ordinary models like the Waterkings +/- 15 seconds per day (crown down is the most worn position) is the norm as the wear will make it hard to get it to work perfect in 6 positions, so you compromise. I serviced a shed of a DS last week all scratched up inside and out but I got it to run +1 second in 6 positions thanks to the extra protection these models have.

If you are satisfied with only 3 positions Dial up, dial down and crown down you can get the watch to lose less.

There are of course times you need to replace worn parts or just swap out the movement to a better one.
    Last edited by Shum; May 20th, 2019 at 04:34.
    Dan S likes this.

Thank you very much for your answers. The watch was recently serviced (some months ago) and I did not measure its accuracy. In any case, I am flexible in that regard and much more in the case of vintage watches, so the main reason why I was asking about accuracy is just to know more about the watch itself (somehow it brings joy to know more about a classical piece).

It is great to know that the movement is regarded as an outstanding alternative. Congratulations about having a DS. I understand that they are "bullet-proof". Strange that Certina used the same movements in wide ranges of models with significant price variations.

Best regards,

The caliber was top of the line and Certina had plans for a cheaper version but in the late 60- early- 70's the watch world started to change so they did as most other companies and bought movements from ETA so they had cheaper options for their entry models. In the mid 70's they made the last in house caliber with the 854/919 models but by then it was total crisis and the movements can be found in both cheaper and more expensive models.

Thread Information