Vintage Chrono info sought please
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eccles

Thread: Vintage Chrono info sought please

Vintage Chrono info sought please

I picked up this vintage Dundee Chrono off ebay recently (Mainly because it looks nice!) and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it.
    It appears to be quite well made ,and the movement looks good quality. The movement is marked 'Hampden watch corp'. When I search for Hampden on this forum I get a lot of info on pocket watches, but it gets a bit patchy after they were bought out in the 30's.

The movement looks to me to be similar to the Valjoux 92 (It looks like there's a Valjoux symbol under the balance wheel, but I can't see the details), and the whole watch looks similar to Nivada/Croton chrono's from that era.

Any info greatfully received.

KasperDK likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Vintage Chrono info sought please

You arequite correct. Valjoux 92. One major characteristic of this is the "swivel pinion" clutch, also used in the Valjoux 7750, which was developed by Edouard Heuer in 1887 and which TAG Heuer are currently making a big thing of in their (originally Seiko) Cal. 1887.

As for your watch, looks a little like late sixties or early seventies to me.

Hartmut Richter

I know nothing about this watch except that I like it a lot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

this watch should be serviced and given a good strap. The valjoux 92 is very good quality movement, its accurate and very durbale. congrats on your purchase.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Many thanks for the replies everyone.
    The watch isn't currently working, so it'll be going off for repair in the new year. I'd tentatively put it at mid 60's for the age. One other thing that puzzles me is that the balance wheel on my watch has all those little weights screwed around the outer circumference, and most of the pictures I've seen of other ones have standard, smooth balance wheels. I guess it must have been a development.

I found a link showing the history of the Nivada/Croton Chronomaster watches, and mine seems to be very similar, except mine has a different bezel. The case and hands etc seem very similar. Even the name is similar (ish)

Page Modčles
    Last edited by eccles; December 18th, 2010 at 19:07.

The Hampden trademark (in the states) was registered to "Mannheimer Watch Company, Chicago" in 1939, which was likely as soon as it was legally possible after the original company was gone. This likely coincided with the creation of the Swiss company.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information