Vintage diver recommendations - based on Yema Superman
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Vintage diver recommendations - based on Yema Superman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage diver recommendations - based on Yema Superman

Hi,
    I'm new to watches and so could do with your advice please on what vintage divers I should look at. My budget is around €400.

I recently bought this Yema Superman. In terms of the way it looks it ticks all the boxes: small cream markers and narrow hands; thin bezel; unobtrusive case almost hidden by the bezel; thin (I don't like thick watches).

But for some reason I'm not getting on with it. Maybe it's a bit too small - 39mm across and lug width 19mm. And there's no lume - I like lume. I don't know why but it's not 'the one'; visually it's close but in real life it's not quite there.

Can you please suggest some alternative vintage watches that are similar please? Obviously photos would be good!

Thanks very much

Name:  swist.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  228.3 KB

Re: Vintage diver recommendations - based on Yema Superman

Vintage watches will not generally have functional lume. That's normal.

Other than that, it's quite hard for me to make suggestions since you say that this watch satisfies all of your desires, but you still don't like it. You can find larger vintage divers (EPSA supercompressors, Super Squale, Omega PloProf, Doxa Sub, etc.), but they are not in your budget - not even close.

All in all, to be honest, it sounds like you would prefer a modern watch with a vintage look to a truly vintage watch. I'm sure you can find a large, luminescent, modern diver with a vintage look within your budget (especially since you are ok with quartz).
    Wibbs and Addictedtowatches like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thanks badbackdan.

I think you're right - I suppose wearing a genuine vintage takes a little effort if all you're used to is modern Seikos. Of course lume won't glow any more. And presumably they didn't make big watches in 'the olden days'.

Maybe I should change my mindset.

Anyway, thanks for your (expensive) suggestions - there are some beauties in there!
    Wibbs and badbackdan like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by babyatom View Post
    Thanks badbackdan.

I think you're right - I suppose wearing a genuine vintage takes a little effort if all you're used to is modern Seikos. Of course lume won't glow any more. And presumably they didn't make big watches in 'the olden days'.

Maybe I should change my mindset.

Anyway, thanks for your (expensive) suggestions - there are some beauties in there!
    That a look at Eza, it's right up your alley;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    badbackdan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KRSVINTAGE View Post
    That a look at Eza, it's right up your alley;

Nice!
    KRSVINTAGE likes this.

Funny enough Babyatom, I have the same Yema model and the lume still glows albeit very faintly, but it is visible in complete darkness(and the dial and hand still give off radiation when outside the case). Given these were produced when Yema was co-owned by Seiko in the late 80's they must have laid on the tritium very thickly. Though my lume is white, not cream. Maybe the cream were a different lume mix?

If find it large enough for me. Quite large across the lugs actually. But I do have stick thin wrists.

IMHO these Yema are a very nice design and as you said not a thick watch, so very impressive that they have a depth rating that high. A Rolex with the same rating looks like a tank by comparison. They've really gone up in price too. I had a 1970's mechanical one that I bought in 2004 for 50 euro. These days they're more like a 1000 and above. My quartz one above I got from a very nice French lady whose late husband was in the French police SAR/diving department and he was given this. The movement was broken when I got it so I found a NOS Seiko movement and fitted it myself. I then had it pressure tested to 200 metres and it passed. Not too bad, especially after all my amateur work on it. :)

I've always liked French watches. My very first watch as a child was a Mortima "diver" I got as an eighth birthday present from my parents on holiday in France back in the 70's, so Yema and especially LIP have always appealed. LIP are like the Citroen of watches. Innovative, at times crazy designs and oh so very French. I love that.
    James A, badbackdan and babyatom like this.

I think its a lovely watch, a watch I would wear. If you are looking for others then try vintage russian vostoks or if you like lume then try new vostoks they certainly have a vintage feel about them esp with the plastic crystal and great WR. Just read up about these fantastic cheap to buy pieces and like seiko you can customise them esp changing out the cheap bracelet and changing the bezel with a seiko bezel like I did.
    This is a large case and before my mods.

after

Or vintage and lume still glows but only for a short while.
    babyatom, Wibbs and typ73 like this.

Name:  Seiko Dive 1 Finchphoto.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  120.5 KB
    Love my Seiko 6309-729A
    Mod Dial, from 1984. Lum is not bad either.
    Of course you can buy brand new Seiko Dives with really good lum, in lots of price ranges.
    babyatom likes this.

If you decide to go with a modern watch company that uses vintage designs I suggest looking at the German company Steinhart which uses Swiss movements. When some of Rolex's design patents expired, Steinhart swooped in and began designing watches with many of the same aesthetics as Rolex. I have a Steinhart diver that is one beautiful hunk of stainless steel. The movements are of course not Rolex, but for the money (~$500) they are quality time species. WUS has a Steinhart forum.
    babyatom likes this.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I second the Vostok Amphibia recommendation. As indicated by joeuk above, they are "authentically vintage" (meaning that the designs have changed very little over the years). I bought one a few months back, almost on an impulse, after ignoring them for years and I am honestly quite smitten with it.

The Amphibia has not only a completely unique design but also an interesting place in horological history. It's not trying to be anything other than what it is.

The only dilemma is which model to choose, as there are a bewildering number of dials and several different case styles.

Oh, and the lume - at least on mine - is pretty good, believe it or not.

It says hi, by the way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    joeuk likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information