Vintage Dunhill 15 rubis
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Seele

Thread: Vintage Dunhill 15 rubis

Vintage Dunhill 15 rubis

I find this one recently.
    Is it original? Because i did not find any on net except Dunhill lighter with watch (on they pictures they did not pictured movement but dial is with these letters).
    Can you please help.
    Thanks
    Name:  Dunhill movement.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  263.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Vintage Dunhill 15 rubis

Problably it's original Existed undreds swiss brands in the past. Every day I saw a diferent brand that I never had heard before...

Interesting...it's a older pin-lever movement, trying to look expensive with its "15 rubis". Sorta looks like a baumgartner, but the pallet cock is different. These watches evolved out of the older dollar/Roskopf watches; fairly rugged and inexpensive for those who just need to know the time, and aren't concerned about being off by a few minutes.

The only trademark I found for "Dunhill" was a one trademarked in 1943 by "Alfred Dunhill of London, Inc.,NYC", but that's probably not it. The term "rubis" suggests that this watch was made and marketed in Europe, not the US or England, and the style and balance suggest late 50's or 60's (or even 70's, but the doubtful with the lume the way it is)
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

From the dial and hands I'm thinking late forties to fifties, but otherwise I'm with Rob.

Hello!
    I found the same DUNHILL watch by my grandmother, it was bought by my grandfather in the early fifties. nobody remembers when. it's in very good condition, it was boxed. i tried to find some informations about, but this is the only one site. have you any idea about the current prize? or have you more infos about?

Quote Originally Posted by csomai View Post
    Hello!
    I found the same DUNHILL watch by my grandmother, it was bought by my grandfather in the early fifties. nobody remembers when. it's in very good condition, it was boxed. i tried to find some informations about, but this is the only one site. have you any idea about the current prize? or have you more infos about?
    Pin levers and dollar watches tend not to be as sought after as higher grade watches. But ones in good condition can fetch a premium if several collectors are bidding.

One of the problems presented are these were never considered long life watches and were built with that in mind... so if the condition is poor, repair can cost a substantial multiple of normal sales prices... (probably true of most watches now that I think about it).
    Last edited by Eeeb; November 15th, 2011 at 18:59.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Dunhill has been a maker of luxury goods for the gentleman for a very long time, if I am not greatly mistaken they have been working with Jaeger LeCoultre for many decades. It is actually surprising to see a Dunhill-branded watch with a lower-grade movement. As far as I know, Dunhill's London HQ should be able to authenticate their products as they have full access to their archives, so it is worth a try.
    Janne likes this.

Banned

Agree with Seele. Dunhill was/is a very upmarket, high quality brand. That agricultural movement surprises me.
    Could it be an old Fake?
    The crystal is badly yellowed = low quality.

Thread Information