Vintage Elgin Pocketwatch Restored!

Thread: Vintage Elgin Pocketwatch Restored!

Smile Vintage Elgin Pocketwatch Restored!

Last Christmas my father gave me his grandfather's pocket watch that he used when he worked for the railroad. I am told it does not meet all the requirements of a true "Railroad Watch", but it is what he used. I finally had the chance to get it restored, and I wanted to share the results with everyone.

It is an 18 size Elgin, 15 jewel movement, SN:15522639. That serial dates it to a 1910-1911 production date. I am very pleased with how it turned out. My thanks go to Delton Brown in Little Rock for the repair work.

Before:

After:

Re: Vintage Elgin Pocketwatch Restored!

It cleaned up very nice, its a great heirloom to have! What case material is it? It might have been used by your great grandfather while working on the railroad, but grade 317 was never a railroad approved or railroad grade watch. You may see Elgin grade 317 here in a 1917 catalog (yours is from 1910 but the same watch):
    http://elginwatches.org/scans/sales_...g/m_pg_E3.html
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Hey Hegemon!

Whatever you paid for this to happen...it was money well-spent! What a stunning transformation!

As Erik says, this would not have qualified as a railroad watch, but with 15 jewels, it would still keep excellent time. I think you're very lucky to have such a beautiful heirloom. My guess is that the case is silver or nickel.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

fantastic transformation!

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    Hey Hegemon!

Whatever you paid for this to happen...it was money well-spent! What a stunning transformation!

As Erik says, this would not have qualified as a railroad watch, but with 15 jewels, it would still keep excellent time. I think you're very lucky to have such a beautiful heirloom. My guess is that the case is silver or nickel.
    I believe the case is nickel. I can't pick it up from the repair shop until next week, but I will ask when I see him.

What job did your great-grandfather have in connection with the railroads? It may be possible that he had a position that didn't necessarily require a railroad-standard watch...but just something that kept decent time.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Your Grandfathers watch came out great

Thread Information