Vintage fakes are everywhere!
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Vintage fakes are everywhere!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage fakes are everywhere!

I have a new interest in vintage dress watches - Omega, Longines, Hamilton, Tissot - 1960's and early 1970's. I have been trying to educate myself by reading comments on the watchuseek (and other) website(s). I have also been studying Ebay. I am negatively impressed with the amazing number of replicas (actually fakes, because they are advertised as authentic) on Ebay. Even my untrained eye can recognize many. Today I stopped by five pawn shops (at least one quite reputable) to look at vintage watches. A few shops had only fakes. Two shops had authentic old watches (but scattered among fakes). The fakes on Ebay and at these shops all share some common characteristics without consideration for internals (movements, case signing, etc.). I shudder to name them because the manufaturers of the fakes may take corrective steps to improve their fakes.

The fakes that I recognized both on Ebay and at shops were watches that were advertised to be 40-50 years old; each one had not a single scratch or blemish; none looked as though it had ever been worn; yet each had a brand new replacement band (bands had not even been bent -once); the replacement bands appeared to be the same for all the watches - dark brown to black textured leather made by some company other than Omega, Longines, Hamilton, Tissot. I wanted to pull out my car key to test the crystals (I bet all were acrylic).

I am not surprised that fakes are common in the price range associated with Omegas and more expensive watches. I am shocked that fakes are so common among the Longines, Hamiltons and Tissot's of the world. I will need far more education before I purchase a vintage watch (and I my psyche sinks to know that scamming is rife).

Re: Vintage fakes are everywhere!

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by time_tugo View Post
    I shudder to name them because the manufaturers of the fakes may take corrective steps to improve their fakes.
    Don't worry. They will not improve them because they need not. For every customer they loose through knowledge and education, they get 10 new who love their junk. So why should they waste money for improvements?

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Yep, and some of them are damn good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by time_tugo View Post
    The fakes that I recognized both on Ebay and at shops were watches that were advertised to be 40-50 years old; each one had not a single scratch or blemish; none looked as though it had ever been worn; yet each had a brand new replacement band (bands had not even been bent -once); the replacement bands appeared to be the same for all the watches - dark brown to black textured leather made by some company other than Omega, Longines, Hamilton, Tissot. I wanted to pull out my car key to test the crystals (I bet all were acrylic).
    Weren't most crystals acrylic 50 years ago? My all-original single-owner (well, grand-dad's initially) Bulova from the 60s has plastic.

As for the straps, even in the early 80s, so many straps were terrible by today's standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    Weren't most crystals acrylic 50 years ago? My all-original single-owner (well, grand-dad's initially) Bulova from the 60s has plastic.

As for the straps, even in the early 80s, so many straps were terrible by today's standards.
    Yes I have two original 1950s Omegas and the crystals are plastic. Two early 1960s Zodiacs and the crystals are plastic. I have a few 1970s watches (Omega, Camy, Ernest Borel) and the crystals are plastic. Only one 1970s (Japanese Trans Continent) and the 1990s watches that I own have glass crystals. And watches of that age more than likely would have gone through a few strap changes throughout their life. Possibly crowns as well.

nearly all vintage wrist-watches from the 30's-1980's will have plastic crystals. Also straps rarely last more than a few years so having the strap changed on a vintage watch is to be expected.

I actually disagree with your premise. I don't think there are not that many fake vintages around. Sure newly manufactured fakes exist(and most use some original parts to be more convincing) and sometimes a watch is redialed with a different brand name or as a different model, but neither is super common. What I really see lots of are tons upon tons of cobbled together garbage that take parts from x different watches from the same maker and put it together into 1 watch, repaint the dial (often in a way that is completely different pater or color than it left the factory) and the is case over polished. Then the seller asks for 2-10x times the price a nice original one goes for. It would be funny but people keep buying them then posting about their new "find" and being heart broken when they find out what they bought.
    redcow and Chascomm like this.

Maybe better to define what is fake and frankenized. I do agree with the OP only when we say there are many frankenized vintage watches more than fakes or put together.Where your knowledge is the limit for id'ing them. And since nobody can be expert in all available brands, its always wise to ask in forums for help. I personally, dont accept crystal and strap changes as frankenized hence its a usual practise. Even some crowns if they are coherent with the case I am fine with it. Some fixed lugs becoming pin lugs within time is also OK for me. The contries or areas i mention below is due to my own experience, no general idea or no offense but true, no offense pls.

The people who are misusing the interest towards vintage watches and turning home made jobs to cash generally do:

- sign the movement on bridge with popular luxury or high end brands,( some South American sellers )
    - sign the caseback with similar related serial numbers
    - make a dial re-finish, ugly re-luming,
    - sign the dial, than you see arial characters strong print on a 70 year old watch,( some South American sellers and also some Ukrainian sellers)
    - find genuine movements from pocket watches, adopt some parts and create a case and sell them as antique or vintage wrist watches ( Some Ukrainian Sellers )

The sad thing is that these franken producers, are having sometimes genuine movements, also cases, just to have a larger audience in their auctions they sign and re-finish the dial to reach even average knowledge watch buyers and destroy the original piece which would have the interest from small percent of WIS in public and would pay more.

Fakery is directly proportional to popularity. As a bottomfeeder, I largely avoid intentional fakes. BUT I do see a lot of frankenized watches, put together from parts that fit, even if they are not correct.

The key to not being taken? KNOW YOUR BRAND!

The best way to avoid fakes and frankens is to chose one brand and gain as much knowledge about it as you can. That way you can look at a watch on Ebay or in a shop, and KNOW what kind of movement it should be running, what the dial should look like, and the likely age. Most sellers, especially at the low end, know very little about that they're selling, so they can't be relied on, even if they are honest. You gotta know what you're buying.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneJockey View Post
    Fakery is directly proportional to popularity. . . . . . . . . .

and potential profit margin? (Can I call you Catfish?)

p
    Courtesy of ULF.

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    and potential profit margin? (Can I call you Catfish?)

p
    Better than 'Flounder' I guess. 'Sole Man' is better than both.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information