Vintage Gallet
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Vintage Gallet

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Vintage Gallet

As I have mentioned in older threads, my great-grandfather was a big watch collector and a hobby watchmaker. I have recently been looking through his collection that has been boxed up for over 30 years.

Here is a vintage Gallet chronograph I have found. Can anyone help me out with any information on this watch?

I know nothing of Gallet. So even information on them would be great!

Thank you!

Re: Vintage Gallet

The Gallet brand made very popular Swiss pocket watches and later specialized in excellent wrist chronographs which were as well very popular and still are very collectible.

In this particular one I believe, according to the setting of the parts, that the movement was made by LEMANIA and is probably from the 50s (surely post WW2), although I could not trace the exact caliber.

Hello Mpire, what a cool watch you have. It is a Multichron 12, with the highly desirable Excelsior Park EP40 movement. EP was a movement company founded with money from Gallet, who during the 'quartz crisis' of the 70's was absorbed back into Gallet. Do some searching on the EP movement and you'll find that this very same engine was used in some very big name watches.

I have never seen one in gold before, and I've been collecting photos of Gallet watches for about three years now. Based on what I see, I'd say that watch is from the early 1960's. It's hard to tell on the photo, do you see JXR somewhere on the movement? That's Gallet's import identifier.

The brownish stuff, is that on the dial or the crystal? The crystal is easily replaced, and if it is on the dial, it can be cleaned somewhat - but do not refinish the dial. I don't know where you live, but if you're interested I can give you the contact info for my watch repair guy in Oregon. He's worked on all my Gallet watches.

What a cool find! Service it and wear it with pride. It was my Grandfathers 1950's Gallet Decimal that got me in the watch hobby/ obsession/ business.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Dragon thanks for correcting me, EP!!! How did I miss that ...? :-D
    All Lemania calibers have the balance on the other side from Landeron, Venus etc...Looked very similar to one in my book :D
    Great watch indeed.

Found a similar one with some history on the side as well, on the 2nd photo...
    Gallet Chronograph Watch -. MultiChron 12 Chronograph

Eldarinn, you were very close. I think this is the Lemania you were thinking of:
    Name:  LEMANIACal15TL 1930-1940.jpeg
Views: 3160
Size:  94.5 KB
    PS: I'm a big fan of the Lemania 5100, although had to sell my Tutima NATO to fund another Gallet!
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Actually my book calls the model I was looking at as "CHZP" (??) model.
    Anyhow I assumed this was a Lemania because of the setting which is very unique.
    Always love to see great chrono movements!

By the way I just serviced a 'normal' men size sweep seconds wrist movement cal 3500 if I remember right (It's in my workshop).
    Didn't know they made regular stuff, it was a gorgeous movement, I'll try to add some pics next week.

Thank you for the responses and the link! Great information.

The movement indeed does have JXR beneath the F/S adjustment. What does this indicate?

The brown discoloration is unfortunately on the dial, but the crystal is badly scratched as well. I have a feeling that it will look amazing with a new crystal and a good professional cleaning.

I have given the crown a few turns and it runs, but I am afraid to fully wind it until it is cleaned.

Indicates ( Brand code / Importers Mark ) --> Gallet, J. Racine Co.

Nice Watch BTW.

Gentlemen,

Mpire does have a great piece and it is certainly worth sympathetic restoration, perhaps I am a sentimental type, items passing down the family not only has sentimental value, but this also adds the valuable provenance as well.

Speaking of Gallet got me thinking: nowadays it is common practice to dig up a long-defunct watch brand, register the name, and then claim legitimacy in heritage; I can name a dozen of these "revival" brands! This makes me wonder if Gallet - as a going concern - had ever lapsed in operation and been revived as such. If it operated non-stop then it would have to be the oldest company engaged in horological manufacturing.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information