Vintage Girard Perregaux

Thread: Vintage Girard Perregaux

Vintage Girard Perregaux

Hi.

I've bought this vintage Girard Perregaux some years ago. In fact, it was a real bargain, but I've never been interested in it. I was staring at it these days and realized it may be a nice classic option. I'd like to know if anyone could provide some informations about its year of production and calibre. Thanks. Louis.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Vintage Girard Perregaux

It looks to me like it is late 1940s/early 1950s and some type similar to GP Calibre 03. I don't have a list of Girard-Perregaux serial numbers so I can't give you an exact date of production.
    Again it would be best if you get the watch cleaned and serviced before you wear it a lot.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hi, Ray. Thanks for the informations. I also think it'll be necessary to get it cleaned and serviced before wearing it again, as it is with me for, at least, 5 years and was never serviced.

I have a doubt on vintage watches and this might be an opportunity to solve it: how to clean vintages watches? I mean, how to clean them externally, because of course I can't do it by myself when it comes to the internal parts. I've read some tips related to cleaning new watches here, but some of them, in my opinion, are not adequate for vintages.

Thanks, Louis.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I looked at a couple dozen GP movements on Ranfft but didn't see one that looked close.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

I bought a polishing cloth at a jeweler and that's what I use. Cleaning the outside is far less important than the inside anyway.
    The watchmaker can always polish the case as part of the service if you want.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hi -

I'd place it later than the 1940s, more like the 1960s. GP can be a tad difficult to date since their designs remain largely timeless.

The reason? It's more of a guess than anything else, but from the GP watches I've seen available, the GP name was always spelled out in a rather elegant font without the GP double letter above it, and the subdial was rarely so marked as here, but rather was more implied than actually shown. It was an inventive use of what is called negative space, of simply leaving blank areas that were normally marked in order to delineate the area of the subdial (hard to describe, but I have no pictures for that).

Not that it's not a GP: looks like one to me. But I remember seeing a design change between the pre-1960s and the post-1960s watches as the design team became more conservative.

Lovely, lovely watch. I've been watching them on eBay, especially the older duotone ones, and that is one heck of a watch.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Hello, John. Nice to read your opinions again.

I've read some posts about GP watches and you're sure to say it's not easy to date them. I've really appreciated your explanation about "negative space". I've searched it to understand what you have described and discovered some interesting informations in a site dedicated to painting (there are pictures there that ilustrate what you've explained):

http://painting.about.com/od/paintin...ativespace.htm

Louis

Hi Louis,

indeed, many GP calibres (and many others) are still missing in my archive.
    As far as I can read, it is the calibre 12.09. The number written on GP
    movements is not a serial number, but the combination of calibre (12),
    version (09), and a batch number, the meaning of which only GP will know.

For dating, that leaves just the evaluation of technical details and the style
    of case and dial. The dial will not help further: It is restored, and pretty
    surely not according to the original. The Incabloc is scarcely met in
    watches before about 1950, and the screwless balance became common
    use in 1960. As the style of the case reminds to a dress watch from the
    early sixties, I would date the watch to about 1960.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Hi, Roland.

Thanks for the details. I've contacted the jeweller who sold me the GP and you're sure: the dial was restored. I dind't know that when I boght it. Anyway, it's a nice watch, althought and I don't appreciate restored dials.

Thanks, Louis.

Thread Information