vintage Girard-Perregaux dial

Thread: vintage Girard-Perregaux dial

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

vintage Girard-Perregaux dial

guys.
    this is my first post on this board .
    i have a question regarding the GP dial .
    what the different between the raised logo vs printed letter dial on the vintage Girard-Perregaux watch ?
    cheers
    Peter

Re: vintage Girard-Perregaux dial

Welcome!

Not sure what you mean. Some dials - regardless of company - have 'applied' numerals and markers, some printed. Some other use a combination of the two. It's - in general - just a style thing for a particular model, regardless of company. If in doubt about some aspect of what you're looking at, then post pictures here for comment and advice.

thanks.
    that is what i'm asking " Some dials - regardless of company - have 'applied' numerals and markers, some printed. Some other use a combination of the two "
    so there is no special one to the other in term of dial marking different you think ?
    how do i post pictures on this site ?
    Peter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Peter. First of all, when you post something, you'll see a button down on the bottom right hand side saying 'Go Advanced.' That will take you to the upload window. Attachments are limited to no greater than 300kb, so resize your jpeg or whatever to that size. I personally find that images around 850-1200 px longest dimension @ 72 dpi, saved as jpeg, png, etc. Make sure that your save is less than 300 kb.

Some dials do use rare metals (as in solid gold), some dials are made of rare metals (gold again), but in general the dial is simply a metal blank, which is printed with a background colour, then markers are applied (or printed), and chapter rings, brand names and model names are printed onto the dial. Most dials - the huge majority - are just that. Every so often, numerals are foiled, so the print is shiny gold or silver.

Even very expensive brands do it around about the same way. The difference is in the quality of the finish(es) and so on. Take a look at this video, which shows the process quite well.

thanks .
    here is the two sample of the dial that i was question about . one with GP rasied logo and one that doesn't have the GP raised logo .Name:  GP2.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  31.5 KBName:  GP.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  18.5 KB

so i'd like to know if there is quality different of the two watch , please disregard the different in style or gold plated or not . it just their dial seem create a little different hence my concern .

cheers
    Peter

The differences between the watches would be in the quality of the movements in each, so you'll find that most conversations here revolve around discussions of the movement - post those pics, too.

Both of these look to be refinished dials. Around here, collectors favour original dials and so these would be a little less valued than original dials. A dial can be refinished with applied or printed markers, logos and so on…

Send us some more pics!

ok i'm got a deal on this and may go for it . what you guys think ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, the dial looks original. Hurrah. The movement is a high quality automatic; I can't see enough to be certain, but I think it's a Girard-Perregaux calibre 444, based on an AS1920 movement. And… the inside case back has felt tip markings that suggest it's been serviced. So that's 3 things in its favour. I don't see anything wrong with it, myself, but perhaps someone else might have an opinion.
    Last edited by Habitant; April 25th, 2016 at 15:43.

thanks.
    now back to my original question regarding the Raised GP logo vs a non GP logo or printed Logo . is this indicated anything's about the quality of the watch it self or just a different era or may be different in the movement that the watch use so therefore different dial used as well ?

Peter

Raised GP logo started to be used in the mid-1960's, I think.

Your watch looks to be from about 1970, give or take a couple of years.
    gatorcpa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information