Vintage Girard Perregaux ID Help

Thread: Vintage Girard Perregaux ID Help

eb3

Vintage Girard Perregaux ID Help

Hello,

My friend aproached me with a watch he wants to sell, a Girard Perregaux Gyromatic. He doesn't know many details about it and neither do I (i am more into other brands).
    The watch is in working condition, but only just. Winding the crown is very hard and sticky (obviously the movement needs an overhaul) but it does run. Didn't try messing around with it too much at this state.

After searching online for ref. numbers or indeed anything that can help me identify it I have up as there seems to be less into online on GP than Omega for example.

What I would like to know about this piece is:
    1. What ref. number it is
    2. What calibre it is (my guess is a 480 of some sort but I really don't know)
    3. Estimation of how much it will cost the service it (movement and crystal)
    4. How much will it sell for, current state and overhauled.
    5. Anything else you might have to say.

I hope the pictures are enough, but I can get better ones if needed.

Thank you for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Vintage Girard Perregaux ID Help

Welcome to Watchuseek! That watch does not really look like it's in bad shape and a decent service will probably get it running like a song again without any problems. The case will very likely by gold plated - solid gold cases don't really have steel case backs. The movement will be a generic movement, something like the AS 1920 (GP Cal. 440) since the GP calibre family based on automatic winding extensions of the AS 1687 didn't have day-of-the-week indications. A service should cost you something between ca. 75 and 150 Euros, depending on who you approach (although I am sure that there will be people who will take even more off you - but you should avoid those!). As for how much it's worth, we don't give valuations here for several reasons. The best thing you can do is go to fleabay or the like and see what these things go for. Good luck!

Hartmut Richter

An older pre-owned GP with a square gold plated case could be tough to sell. The owner might not get back much more than the cost to service. Do some research to determine probable valuations. Perhaps it should be sold without service, just reflect that in this listing if you do attempt to sell it in your friend’s behalf. Personally, I wouldn’t take it on.
    We may be lost but we're making good time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by eb3 View Post
    1. What ref. number it is
    2. What calibre it is (my guess is a 480 of some sort but I really don't know)
    3. Estimation of how much it will cost the service it (movement and crystal)
    4. How much will it sell for, current state and overhauled.
    5. Anything else you might have to say.

I hope the pictures are enough, but I can get better ones if needed.

Thank you for your help!
    This isn't a particularly desirable watch and if you're planning to sell it, don't spend a lot of time and energy on it. Just take photos of the inside, add them to the photos you already have, create an eBay listing, and wash your hands of it.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thread Information