vintage gruen autowind

Thread: vintage gruen autowind

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

vintage gruen autowind

hey all this was given to me by a friend as he said it wasnt woking crown missing dated on case 1961 solid back cant get picks of movement it is a 25 jewel autowind any info on this watch would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: vintage gruen autowind

Hi -

Hard to tell without a picture of the movement.

Gruen itself never made a 25 jewel movement. This is most likely one of the AS 174x movements inside, which are rather nice movememnts, especially the gold-plated ones. Very nice quality indeed.

You seem to have the knack of finding very, very battered watches: this one, while missing the crown, does seem to have a solid gold case (or so it seems). The face itself seems to be in good shape, but the case is in fairly poor shape. You need to get it to a watchmaker to see if the movement is in any way salvageable: does the watch run when you move it around?

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

hey john this watch was my friends grandfathers company watch 25 years service marked on back dated nov 1961 and when he was moving he knew i collected watches and said it wasnt working and if i would like it i could have it the move ment appears as if it needs to have crystal removed than movement taken out that way????it winds can hear rotor spining but second hand not moving and missing 4 marker hoping its floating around under crystal thanks for the info john and gruens are one of my favourite vintage watches i love the look of them thanks again

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

Then it needs some serious attention.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

hey john finally got a crystal remover and heres the inside looks to need some work but case seems to be solid 14k gold ?? or plated ???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
    hey john finally got a crystal remover and heres the inside looks to need some work but case seems to be solid 14k gold ?? or plated ???
    If the case is solid gold, it will be engraved as such somewhere on the case; otherwise it's almost certainly plated. Sometimes the engraving is hidden, like between the lugs.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
    If it was solid 14kt, there would be an indication on the inside of the back... I don't see any but that may be the pic.

It looks like a pretty normal Swiss Gruen of the 60's era... but a rough example.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Actually Gruen did make a 25 jewel automatic in the 710-711 series. This movement came in 17 and 25 jewel versions. The poster's watch looks like a 710 RSS caliber.

Gruen also made a 23-jewel automatic in the 560 series.

The case IS marked as 14K GOLD in one of the first pictures ...

submitted by the poster so the case is 14K solid gold.

thanks jim u are dead on with movement hard to see in pics but it does say 710 rss on rotor the case is also very heavy going to have it weighed to see how many grams of gold there is watch needs some serious attention the gruen stamp14k looks to have a j beside it it looks to be solid so if it wasnt it would sAY 14K RGP???? looks solid to me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information