Vintage Gruen Ladies Watch HELP
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bsshog40

Thread: Vintage Gruen Ladies Watch HELP

Vintage Gruen Ladies Watch HELP

So I have this watch. My grandmother found itlike 40 years ago on the ground. I can not find any serial numbers or identifiers. I even popped off the back, it just takes out the whole mechanism with the face in one piece. the back simply says "K&O 14 kt solid gold," It is white gold with 6 jewels in the body, and them an embellished band with stretch on the back with 4 gems on either side on the band itself ( 8 all together on band) i am assuming it is from before the 50's. It has a very art deco feel to it. I looked all over for one even close and couldn't find one. I tried the Gruen webpage for some assistance and without a serial number or style number there is no help there. I was wondering if anyone has seen one like this or could point me in the direction of someone who has? I am looking to see if it is worth anything, as my grandmother has fallen on hard times. Thanks in advance.
    Name:  photo (5).JPG
Views: 98
Size:  1.73 MB

Re: Vintage Gruen Ladies Watch HELP

When you pop off the back and it all come out, the face (dial) with movement should also just come out of the back. You have to grip it from the edges of the dial and lift it out from the case. This should give you access to see the movement. You will need a picture of that or at least write down everything that is engraved on the back. Be careful as you dont want to drop it or grab the watch hands. If you don't feel comfortable with this, then you will need to take it to a watch guy. The movement will/should have info to date the watch.
    busmatt likes this.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

No valuations done here, IMO - scrap value.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia Qualls View Post
    I tried the Gruen webpage for some assistance and without a serial number or style number there is no help there.
    Irrespective of the brand, that would pretty much be the case for any watch. But your only question is on value. There isn't much demand for woman's watches. If you want to sell it, try the pawn-shops, gold-buyers or eBay any of which will give you the fastest turn-around. The best you'll do is scrap value in my opinion. As for the watch, likely dates in the early-1930s to very early 1940s based simply on the case maker - Katz and Ogush of New York. Katz became the president of Gruen in 1935 (-ish) but the case maker seemed to continue stamping K&O even well after he was at the helm of Gruen.

Best of luck in selling it.
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Thread Information