Vintage Hamilton 2987 with "W" between lugs

Thread: Vintage Hamilton 2987 with "W" between lugs

Vintage Hamilton 2987 with "W" between lugs

Hello all-

I've been doing quite a bit of research on the Hamilton 2987 WWII pilots watch. I've noticed there appears to be a variation where there is a "W" engraved between the lugs - I believe its a "Wadsworth case'?

Does anyone know if the "W" variation is more rare or valuable?

Thanks for info!
    The Diplomat

Re: Vintage Hamilton 2987 with "W" between lugs

Here's a nice read. Go down about half way and they talk about the 2987.
    Specifically the "W"

The USMC shown above is a Keystone 39102 version. Typically, these cases have a “W” between the lugs. I”ve never quite figured that one out. The Keystone Case mark might mean W = Waltham. I was told that Hamilton Keystone Cases often have “H” for “Hamilton” between the lugs but have only seen this on 987A versions. A model of Waltham WW2 watches was similarly housed in an identical Keystone Case.

US Military Hamiltons (Center Seconds, Pre-60s) | MilSpecTime
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Interesting - I had read that previously and agree it is a great read...

In the searches Ive done, I've seen a bunch of the "S" and "H" markings - but the "W" appears to be more rare. I am curious if it is a more rare collectible as well - I would love to have all three variations.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I was doing a little searching on the MWF and came upon this, which might have something to do with the "W". Not sure, no expert, but if the "S" was the Star Watch Case Company, but it was also called White Star Watch Case Company, unless this is a mistake by the writer.
    A Short History of the Star Watch Case Company - The Military Watch Resource - Community Fora

Now, they also started in Elgin Ill. making cases for Elgin, of course.
    I found that Elgin had a "word trade mark" of W. If you scroll down you'll see it.
    Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index

Just a thought but during the war things were all mixed up. W could be White Star, which is actually Star and Star made many cases for Hamilton as you know.

Anyway, hope someone with more knowledge can chime in.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Thread Information