Vintage Hamilton - amazing but is it real?

Thread: Vintage Hamilton - amazing but is it real?

Vintage Hamilton - amazing but is it real?

I keep watching this Hamilton on Ebay. I'm into American watches and have little girly wrists so the watch is right up my alley, but I can't figure out if its real. Can anyone point me at a database so that I can look it up? Its described as 897616 Slim

Thanks and Aloha

Re: Vintage Hamilton - amazing but is it real?

Hi,

I do not thing it has anything todo with American :)
    Chaos is my focus

There is another of these for sale on eBay. I believe it is a real Hamilton. What they call their Registered Edition Pieces. A Quartz watch. What does the caseback say?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not made in America, if it's a Registered Edition then Hamilton America was sold by then
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

I consider it somewhat American.

It is true that after 1969 Hamilton stopped making watches in the USA however they did keep their offices in Lancaster PA open until the 1990's and they did run their award watch ordering from there. Plus a lot of watches (such as the hamilton Khaki) still had Lancaster PA stamped on ether the inside or outside of the case back.

As Gio mentioned, some versions of this model were called registered editions. However this particular one is a Hamilton Masterpiece model. The Masterpiece versions were for awards.

A look at this watch on eBAY shows that it is over priced for a plated/filled watch. Especially when there is a 14k solid gold one for cheaper. I would pass due to the price

Thanks! You guys are amazing. Is there database somewhere listing these watches or is you alls knowledge jut from experience? And what’s an award watch?

Quote Originally Posted by GrounchOldGuy View Post
    Thanks! You guys are amazing. Is there database somewhere listing these watches or is you alls knowledge jut from experience? And what’s an award watch?
    No as has been said, there is no(or at least none that i have ever found) database for them.

An award watch was a watch that was given by an employer or an organization for ether time worked at that entity or as an award for doing something for that entity.

For example an award for working 30 years in a company or being a safe driver working for that company.

Another time is for a retirement award.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

It looks like a 1980s watch, made during the time that Hamilton had been integrated into the Swatch group and was using Swiss movements. This one was also used by Zenith (and probably many others), e.g.:

https://auktion.catawiki.de/kavels/2...rren-1980-1989

If so, the movement will be an ESA-ETA Cal. 255.483 which was made in the 1980s and early 1990s:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: ETA-ESA 255.483

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by GrounchOldGuy View Post
    This might not be exactly what you're looking for but all Hamilton catalogs from 1920s all they way until 1970s can be found here: https://www.vintagewatchforums.com/v...814764c05a1b8e

I think you need to create an account on that forum to open the link. But if you're interested in vintage Hamilton that's where most Hamilton collectors hang out.

Thread Information