vintage Hamilton pocket watch (my first) - rare/custom dial?

Thread: vintage Hamilton pocket watch (my first) - rare/custom dial?

vintage Hamilton pocket watch (my first) - rare/custom dial?

Howdy all. After lurking around here (and eBay) for a while, I bit the bullet and bought my first vintage watch - a Hamilton 910 size 12, made circa 1922 according to the serial number. I tried to do my homework before buying by reading threads in this forum.

Name:  hamilton-pocket-watch-1.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  178.2 KBName:  $T2eC16R,!y8E9s2fjKU(BRyb+l4yC!~~60_3.JPG
Views: 565
Size:  64.6 KBName:  $(KGrHqF,!rkFG9-UJZ!NBRyb+oufM!~~60_3.JPG
Views: 632
Size:  99.1 KBName:  $(KGrHqF,!rUFGiNcKOPuBRyb+nBoHw~~60_3.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  15.0 KB

I got it off of eBay, and for a pretty good price too, I think. It seems to run well but I plan to get it cleaned & serviced asap. I really like the dial... I've looked through a lot of auctions and haven't seen one similar to it yet.

One question for you all: does the "Guaranteed 25 years" stamp in the case mean it's definitely 14k gold filled? I got that impression from reading a thread before purchasing. The person auctioning it didn't list it as gold filled.

Re: vintage Hamilton pocket watch (my first) - rare/custom dial?

Hi, The warranted 25 years means it is gold filled, I believe it would be 14k for that warranty, lesser karats would generally mean lesser years. Bill

That is generally true, although it really has to do with the amount of gold. Most 20 year cases are 10K gold filled, 25 years would be 14K filled. There were also 5 year cases. Not sure what they were made of. Anyway, looks to be in really nice shape. Welcome to the forum!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I too have doubts about the dial... but fortunately people who really know will come around in a day or so.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Pretty sure dial is a re-work, and not one of Hamilton original fonts

Regards
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Were movements still being sold separately from the case c. 1922? Perhaps someone had a custom dial made for it when they bought it and had it cased? If the dial was re-worked later, I think they did a good job making it look "period" - it looks art deco.

Quote Originally Posted by luftwaffle View Post
    Were movements still being sold separately from the case c. 1922? Perhaps someone had a custom dial made for it when they bought it and had it cased? If the dial was re-worked later, I think they did a good job making it look "period" - it looks art deco.
    My gut feel is this is a standard Hamilton with a reworked dial.
    I 'think' even when manufacturers shipped uncased watches, the dial was attached
    Regards
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

These small Hamiltons were not standard sized and I'm pretty sure all were shipped and sold cased.

With that said, even uncased movements were always sold complete with a dial and hands.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

I doubt it's a factory dial, or even a period after-market dial; the way the 5 and 7 overlap the seconds register is, to my eye at least, rather sloppy, and fairly inconsistent with how most quality dial manufactures would build it.. I'd be curious to see if it's a stamped dial or if the numbers are "attached" in some way.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Whilst I agree the subdial has the look of a redial the main numbers appear to be proud of the dial so if these are also refinished then that would be unusual in a redial. Of course in view of the questions raised above there is the question of whether this is a Hamiiton dial in the first place and therefore it would be interesting to check how it's attached.

Thread Information