Vintage Help

Thread: Vintage Help

Vintage Help

I am looking to purchase a vintage watch. I like Omega, Longines, JLC and IWC. My problem is, I was born with northern Minnesota forearms and wrists that demand a case diameter over 38mm. I would appreciate any and all ideas. Looking for options from 1950-1969. Thank you in advance.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Vintage Help

Welcome to Watchuseek. Going by your specifications, an IWC "Große Fliegeruhr" springs to mind. However, you need a fair amount of cash for that.....

A chronograph would be most suitable. For one thing, these were generally made with a movement at least 30mm across (yes, I know, there were smaller chronograph movements, but most of them started at 13''') so the watch size is at least 35mm. For another thing, practically every maker had one in their range. Of the brands you mention, an iconic watch that is still around in reasonable numbers is of course the "Moonwatch" (Omega Speedmaster Professional). But you have to know your stuff in order to avoid redials and frankenwatches with Omega.

Good luck!

Hartmut Richter

From these brands, only the Omega Speedmaster seems to be in that size range. But I'd suggest looking at an entirely different brand- Gallet. Their chronographs with Excelsior Park movements are usually circa 38mm, due to a large diameter of the movement. Excelsior Park movements were also used by Zenith, among a number of other brands. And Zenith is pretty much in the same tier as Omega and Longines (well, back then Longines was a high-end brand- as we know, it no longer is).
    Zenith Defy would also be an option worth looking at, IMO- the late 1960s/ early 1970s diver watches from that model line are quite chunky.
    From Longines, the Legend Diver was a large one, but their prices are by no means a bargain.
    1970s Heuer Autavia chronographs weren't small either, but they fail to fit in the 1950-1969 period. Pre-1969 hand-wound Autavias are a rip-off. But then again, with a pre-Moon (cal. 321, manufactured until 1968) Speedmaster, it's not going to be cheap either, these things sell for twice the price of a brand new Speedy. Not to mention the Speedmasters from the late 1950s and early 1960s, I've recently seen a ref. CK 2998 priced roughly the same as the A. Lange & Sohne Saxonia. All thanks to the worst pest of them all, the locusts of the vintage watch market- Hodinkee.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you all. I have been watching on chrono24 for me dead. What do u think of that site? Are there others you value more for vintage?

Damn autocorrect

Chrono24? Generally, the prices there are way higher than the eBay ones, while the danger of running into a redial, fake or franken are just about the same as on eBay.

Maybe just turn the autocorrect off? That's what I do every time that I configure a new phone or tablet, since the autocorrect function hardly ever works as it should. When I used it, all the time I had to fix the mistakes that it kept making- and there were more of these than my typos that it tried to fix... In other words, the autocorrect function is rubbish.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Yup, C24 is pricey. As mkws said, it's no better (or worse) than ebay. An alternate thought is find a good watch dealer and have them source one for you.

I'm rather a fan of the Gallet line, so that's always a nice option.
    There's several MultiChron 12's on ebay now.

Here's my MultiChron 12 Decimal. Most you will come across have a standard tachy/ tele dial in black or cream

Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Thread Information