Vintage IWC - any good?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gatorcpa

Thread: Vintage IWC - any good?

Vintage IWC - any good?

I'm a little skeptical of this IWC. It's up for sale by someone who is not a seller of watches. It looks to be in excellent shape, but I'm not sure if it's what it should look like. Any guidance would be appreciated. Hope to find something soon so I can stop bothering you all!

Name:  iwc1.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  701.0 KBName:  iwc2.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  609.3 KBName:  iwc3.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  240.3 KB

Re: Vintage IWC - any good?

Nice. Looks like a good winder... I would guess from the 40s or 50s.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Nice. Looks like a good winder... I would guess from the 40s or 50s.

I've been doing some more research and am hard pressed to find a time when IWC used its initials on the face until much later than that. The other problem is that the initials IWC only seem to appear on faces where Automatic or some other atribute is also indicated on the lower half of the face - this does not have that.

Could it be that the face was replaced with something after market or is this all legit?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dmatez View Post
    I've been doing some more research and am hard pressed to find a time when IWC used its initials on the face until much later than that. The other problem is that the initials IWC only seem to appear on faces where Automatic or some other atribute is also indicated on the lower half of the face - this does not have that.

Could it be that the face was replaced with something after market or is this all legit?
    My IWC expertise is insufficient to answer this question. Maybe others will know.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I've been doing some more research and am hard pressed to find a time when IWC used its initials on the face until much later than that.
    Then I recommend that you go to the IWC Catalog Project at the Official IWC website:

IWC Vintage Catalogs

Actually there is a time period where both logos were used by IWC. That was in the early 1970's.

The other problem is that the initials IWC only seem to appear on faces where Automatic or some other atribute is also indicated on the lower half of the face - this does not have that.

The dial has seen better days and a small amount of the printing is missing.

The case number dates the watch from that period, but I can't see the movement serial number. However since this looks like one of the very late cal 89 or early cal. 40X series "ultra-slim" movements, that looks correct as well.

Here is a tool for getting the date on cases and movements:

Date Your IWC

Not sure about the 4-digit number stamped inside the cover. I can't tell if this is supposed to be a reference number, or something else. The only ref. numbers I could find correspond starting with "18XX" correspond to automatic watches. The pictures are not exactly clear on this number. Also, the crown looks a bit large for this watch, which is probably only 33mm or 34mm wide.

Final verdict - although the movement and case look to be correct IWC for the period, unless the watch was very inexpensive, I'd wait for a better one. I still have concerns about the reference number, but that part also could be 100% correct. The crown likely isn't correct for this model.

I just picked up an IWC of a similar vintage (1972):

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    Last edited by gatorcpa; November 19th, 2012 at 23:25.
    huntershooter and NT931 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    Definitely helps and I learned a lot! You are right that the crown looks a bit off as well. It was listed on ebay but ended up not selling without reaching the reserve.

Dial refinished and crown replaced. Apart of that looks all legit to me.

a very good watch indeed
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

This is a nice looking watch. I'd find some wrist time for it.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Thread Information