Vintage IWC (Ebay)
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Vintage IWC (Ebay)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage IWC (Ebay)

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I am a starting watch collector with a preference towards IWC.

I have come across this vintage IWC on eBay. Vintage Mens IWC St Steel Automatic Black Dial Cal 853 | eBay.

There are a lot of positive reactions on the seller but it doesn't show any photo's except one. Also I can't get in contact with the seller to get extra pictures or information. Is this trustworthy? I am new to eBay..

And, what should a watch like this be worth, in the state it seems to be?

Thanks
    Last edited by pissert; June 11th, 2015 at 22:26.

Re: Vintage IWC (Ebay)

Scroll down the listing... The photos are there. Here is a link to them, in case it doesn't show up there:
    Auctiva Image Hosting

The watch itself seems to be a redial, at least in my opinion. The movement is an IWC 853, though the finish seems a bit lower than the one of the movement in the Ranfft archive.
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: IWC 853

Not entirely certain if the crown is legit, but then again, I'm no expert.

That's as much as I could find out- experts gonna be here soon.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Not sure what you mean about there being only one picture. They are in the items description and may be accessed here:

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1434054797550

IWC has always been very popular in Japan. The Japanese also tend to favor very high quality redial jobs. I would be wary of this piece, unless I could find other examples of this case reference (648A) with the exact same dial color and markers.

That being said, my IWC came from Japan with original box and paperwork. It is a top notch example.

You may need to do more research on this one,
    gatorcpa

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi,

What do You mean "except one"? He provided 14 photos and quite a honest description too
    Chaos is my focus

Sorry about that, should use my eyes next time...

it a nicely done redial and if that doesn't bother you -at the current price-it would be a great value. But much more I'd probably move on. Also not sure about that crown but as gator said-Japanese love their old IWC and this seller has good rep. good luck. Make sure you won't be disappointed with a redial later on down the road should you do decide to buy.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Actually, if you read the description carefully it does say the dial has been "refinished by Professional", so I guess that means its a good quality redial? Depends on your point of view I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer29 View Post
    Actually, if you read the description carefully it does say the dial has been "refinished by Professional", so I guess that means its a good quality redial? Depends on your point of view I suppose.
    if I had a dollar for ever time I saw a poorly done dial that read : "professionally restored" I'd have a few extra watches. but in this case-it seems true.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Quote Originally Posted by fixer29 View Post
    Well, they'll always tell you it was done by a professional, even if the fella who repainted the dial is the furthest thing from a professional that one can only imagine...

As to Japanese redials- look up the other watches the guy has for sale, there's a pretty funny redial done on an Omega Seamaster DeVille...

There's something about this IWC that worries me. Call it paranoia, but... I'd stay away. My opinion only- I might as well be wrong.
    DaBaeker likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

A couple things, it's clearly true sellers on EB are inconsistent between posting pics at the top of the listing or within the description as in this case.

The other thing is the semantic 'game' sellers play in describing dials - I was actually looking at a Breitling Chronomat last night, asked if the dial was re done and got a message back an hour ago saying the dial was 'original but refinished' - so it's a 'semantic game' !

Nearly every vintage watch probably has the metal dial ( or enamel dial) that came with the watch. - but usually the ones that are refinished are metal, as enamel dials don't usually have excess patina problems - but refinished or re-dialed, etc, is not 'Original' !!!!!! SDA

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalk
    bobbee and mkws like this.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information