Vintage IWC i need help with
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Vintage IWC i need help with

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage IWC i need help with

Hi Guys,

My dad found this vintage IWC in a box of bits of pieces, firstly just interested in finding a little more about it and secondly he'd like to replace the strap as its falling apart but can't seem to figure out how! It doesn't look like its on spring pins, could it possibly be stitched on?
    Thanks guys.

Roy
    Attached Images Attached Images

DragonDan and pr1uk like this.

Re: Vintage IWC i need help with

That is a very nice RAF issued watch!

Here is a link to a thread with lots of facts:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...cts-and-trivia

Around 7300 were procured by the British RAF between 1949 and 1953.

The watch should have fixed lugs. As such, it is possible that the strap is stitched on... Far more robust for military service.

Think it has a IWC 89 cal!

Very nice and very jealous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    jesse1 likes this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Pretty interesting then! Yes i think it has got fixed lugs so how would he go about putting a new strap on it? The old one is falling apart and is pretty much impossible to wear.
    I can get a photo of the movement aswell if you like?

Out of interest what would a ball park figure be on value? He doesn't want to sell it but just interested as he found it and its cost him nothing!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looking at your case back, I note the /48 shows the watch dates to 1948.

Googling: IWC 6b/346 1948 comes up with other examples.

My love of the simplistic military design certainly includes this watch... That said, I have not looked at these or searched them out.... Way way way out of my price range!!!

A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Following on from my comments about me not searching these out... I'm learning a lot from google!

A movement pick would help...

This link discusses a similar watch:

http://www.iwc.com/forum/en/discussi...=1#post_382367

An interesting point is the circled 'T'. This was not introduced until later (60s I read somewhere). Possibly the dial has been changed.

Maybe your father knows? Was he in the RAF?

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Nato straps are the easiest option for this watch and would be correct as to originality.

The link I posted above may explain the discrepancy with the dial:

"The encircled T stands for Tritium, as already mentioned, but to correct Michael, the MoD started the tritium redials in or after 1963. Nevertheless, I'm not sure about this redial as already mentioned."

And as my first link suggests, these were not decommissioned until the 80s.... Possible the MoD changed the dial/hand to tritium from radium!

IWC are very good at providing information (I have found anyway), so you may want to contact them with the serial numbers.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Thanks so much Sparcster its so interesting finding out about it! I'll get some more pics of the inside and post on here for you to see.

My dad wasn't in the RAF, he came across the watch in a box of bits and bobs

Quote Originally Posted by Roydavis33 View Post
    its so interesting finding out about it! I'll get some more pics of the inside and post on here for you to see.
    Its interesting for me also. I have not really looked at the IWC issued watches before, so I'm sure someone will correct any of my above comments if wrong.

Lets hope the inside reflects the outside!

That's certainly an interesting and collectible (and valuable) watch to find in a box of bits!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

While it is easy to say it is valuable, considering the intersection of both the military collectables and the horological collectables markets, giving valuations on these forums is against the rules. For one thing, it is really impossible to give an informed appraisal without holding the item in your hands. WUS may also be trying to shield itself from all the consequences of giving out monetary advice that could end up being incorrect.

I'm sure there are many, many people here who would be happy to get it in their stocking this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information