Vintage IWC Ingenieur questions

Thread: Vintage IWC Ingenieur questions

Vintage IWC Ingenieur questions

Hi I have the opportunity to pick up a cal. 8531 IWC Ingenieur (ref. 666 AD ?) and was hoping to get some help. First some pictures of the watch in question:

Now the questions:I have used the date my IWC and accoring to it the movement seems to be from 1963 where as the case (serial 1,840,xxx) is from probably 1967 but between 1966-1970 for sure. Is a difference of ~4 years between the case and the movement normal for an original IWC or is this a sign that the movement has been replaced?

Does anyone know what IWC would charge for a service and new dial? (I have read $900 and $500 respectively but don't know if this is up to date). Is there anyone else who you would trust to service a watch like this?

I'm having trouble coming up with an estimated value as I can't find any sold on ebay. I have seen a number of better condition ones on chrono 24, but (imo) chrono 24 sellers tend to over value their watches. Would averaging those and dividing by 2 give me a realistic value?
    If someone could pm me links to some comparable watches sold or other way to estimate the value I'd be grateful.

Any other info and options would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.

Re: Vintage IWC Ingenieur questions

I would suggest you Al Archer from Archer watches to service your watch. I have seen some pristine ones 2 years ago exceeding the 4000€ mark. For a vintage service at IWC, count 1000€ if not 1500€.IWC restorations are more expensive than Rolex and Omega ones.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Thanks georges, that's very good to know. I think I may have found my answer to the movement/case date difference. It looks like the cal. 8531 was last produced in 1963 but it seems IWC was making 666 AD's with them until 1967 (after the 8541 had been in use in most other watches). If anyone can confirm or deny this or has any other info about this watch or the first gen Ingenieurs I'd love to hear it. I found a really great resource on the history of vintage Ingenieurs here The IWC Ingenieur - Dial Variations in Vintage Models: Part 1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Just a thought: Weird the dial is in a such awful condition, and the movement so nice.
    I wonde if the dial is as bad as it looks like ?
    Maybe it could just be cleaned?

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Just a thought: Weird the dial is in a such awful condition, and the movement so nice.
    I wonde if the dial is as bad as it looks like ?
    Maybe it could just be cleaned?
    From what I gather the dial is made of soft iron to complete the anti-magnetic cage that surrounds the movement and it is really susceptible to oxidization. I doubt it can be cleaned up without removing any paint but if it could that would be awesome.

Thread Information