Vintage Jaeger Le Coultre, Longines and Universal wrist watches. Info needed please!
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Vintage Jaeger Le Coultre, Longines and Universal wrist watches. Info needed please!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Jaeger Le Coultre, Longines and Universal wrist watches. Info needed please!

Can anybody give me some more info regarding the following watches (approximate date, model etc). They were left to me by my grandfather and are all still in working condition but aside from the obvious brand names I don't know much about them.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Jaeger Le Coultre (Serial: B313587)
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 212
Size:  2.56 MB
Views: 216
Size:  2.30 MB

Longines
Views: 214
Size:  1.91 MB
Views: 212
Size:  2.34 MB

Universal (Serials: 20724 201142846)
Views: 213
Size:  2.10 MB
Views: 211
Size:  2.35 MB
    busmatt and talljosh like this.

Re: Vintage Jaeger Le Coultre, Longines and Universal wrist watches. Info needed please!

Your grandfather had a great taste in watches, that's for sure. Your watches were all high-end watches at the time, and today they still have nothing to envy to modern watches.

It is necessary though that you remove the case back and show us a picture of the movement so we can give you more complete informations.
    busmatt likes this.

Re: Vintage Jaeger Le Coultre, Longines and Universal wrist watches. Info needed please!

The UG and JLC are most likely from the 1940s (the JLC quite certainly is). Longines- late 1950s, early 1960s. You can contact Longines to get info about your watch, but they won't be able to help without pictures of the movement - it's almost impossible to date it accurately without having a look inside. Without the pictures, I can't be of much help either.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the quick replies!

Yes, I thought that pictures of the movements would be necessary. Unfortunately the watches are in the UK with my parents and I'm in Germany, so I only have a few pictures that my mother sent to me.

She is planning to take the watches for an appraisal this week, so hopefully she can get some more pictures when the casebacks are off.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get any pictures with the casebacks off. I have, however, been offered the following prices by a dealer:

Universal - £100
    JLC - £100
    Longines - £150

I realise that without knowing more about the models it is hard for any of you to give an opinion but do these values sound accurate for vintage watches in this condition. I am considering letting the JLC (unfortunate but the condition is just too bad for me to ever consider wearing it) and the universal go, but had expected slightly more.

The Dealer is looking to make some serious profit. You need to look at completed auctions for similar watches on eBay to get an idea of their value.

Quote Originally Posted by cd1963 View Post
    The Dealer is looking to make some serious profit. You need to look at completed auctions for similar watches on eBay to get an idea of their value.
    If his longines is not in solid gold, i do not see why 150 pounds is unreasonable though since he is selling to a dealer. It is a rather common model.
    With that said on the others, the dealer is ripping him off.

With that being said, i will offer you 101 quid for the JLC ;)

Sent from my SHV-E160K using Tapatalk

Yep the dealer is being more than a bit dodgy with those prices. This includes the Longines by the way. The caseback is gold, which strongly suggests the case is solid gold. If it was a plated case of this vintage the caseback would almost certainly be in stainless steel. OH and going on recent Longines ebay auctions, even if it was gold plated the dealer would still be making a solid profit on the watch. Do NOT sell to him/her is my advice.
    mkws and cd1963 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
    Yep the dealer is being more than a bit dodgy with those prices. This includes the Longines by the way. The caseback is gold, which strongly suggests the case is solid gold. If it was a plated case of this vintage the caseback would almost certainly be in stainless steel. OH and going on recent Longines ebay auctions, even if it was gold plated the dealer would still be making a solid profit on the watch. Do NOT sell to him/her is my advice.
    Whoops did not notice that. My gold filled Longines from the 50s all have gold filled casebacks as well.
    Hmmm, have not looked at ebay for a Longines for a while but i guess the prices of Longines have risen. I got a similar watch on the bay for slightly lesser than that last year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information