Vintage JLC oversized Master Quartz...advice needed

Thread: Vintage JLC oversized Master Quartz...advice needed

Vintage JLC oversized Master Quartz...advice needed

I was directed by the kind people in another forum to get some advice on vintage JLC.

I'm looking to replace my partner's older Tissot watch. Unfortunately, his illness has caused his body to expand due to treatment. His smaller sized Tissot doesn't fit him anymore and I'm saddened to see him upset over the watch's inappropriate size now (reminds him of his illness).

I put an offer into ebay for this particular item: Rare Find Vintage MEN'S SS Jaeger Lecoultre Master Quartz Date OS Condition | eBay

I was under the impression that ebay changed their policies so you could put in an offer but had the option of deciding whether to take the offer even if the seller accepts. I think I'll have to speak to the seller if things don't check out here.

Other people in my other posting warned me not to get a vintage over ebay. I didn't read that warning until after I made an offer on the item.

If anyone on here can give me some advice as to whether this watch is a good one to have, please let me know.
    I'm debating this one or a JLC from Darlor Vintage in Montreal.

After doing a lot of research on different watches, the world of watches has become an interesting place for me now. I hope to purchase more vintage models for my partner in the future as gifts.
    His dream is a Patek Philippe, but that's out of my price range right now. I know he loves Girard Perregaux, JLC, Omega (De Villes).
    Thanks!

Re: Vintage JLC oversized Master Quartz...advice needed

Hi
    Sorry to hear your partners illness
    That is a nice timepiece
    The ebay new rule is for Buy It Now
    when you commit to buy, it ONLY becomes yours when you actually pay. If the seller gets another buy It Now offer he accepts which one pays first.

Make an Offer is different, the seller can accept or decline within 48 hrs - if your offer is accepted it is a full comitment on your part.

to me it looks like your (or an offer) was accepted as the watch is now sold. ENJOY!!

In my opinion with Ebay buyer protection you are 100% safe
    sincerely
    adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; November 21st, 2013 at 16:41.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Although I've never bought from him myself, Darlor seems to be a straight dealer. Whenever I look at his prices, quality of offering and so on, it all seems pretty reasonable. He has his own website, of course, and you can check around it to see what you make of him. Not sure if this is much help, but....

Sorry, of course, about your partner's illness. I hope you find him something to perk him up and bring him joy.
    Quote Originally Posted by thach8 View Post
    I was directed by the kind people in another forum to get some advice on vintage JLC.

I'm looking to replace my partner's older Tissot watch. Unfortunately, his illness has caused his body to expand due to treatment. His smaller sized Tissot doesn't fit him anymore and I'm saddened to see him upset over the watch's inappropriate size now (reminds him of his illness).

I put an offer into ebay for this particular item: Rare Find Vintage MEN'S SS Jaeger Lecoultre Master Quartz Date OS Condition | eBay

I was under the impression that ebay changed their policies so you could put in an offer but had the option of deciding whether to take the offer even if the seller accepts. I think I'll have to speak to the seller if things don't check out here.

Other people in my other posting warned me not to get a vintage over ebay. I didn't read that warning until after I made an offer on the item.

If anyone on here can give me some advice as to whether this watch is a good one to have, please let me know.
    I'm debating this one or a JLC from Darlor Vintage in Montreal.

After doing a lot of research on different watches, the world of watches has become an interesting place for me now. I hope to purchase more vintage models for my partner in the future as gifts.
    His dream is a Patek Philippe, but that's out of my price range right now. I know he loves Girard Perregaux, JLC, Omega (De Villes).
    Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Hi
    Sorry to hear your partners illness
    That is a nice timepiece
    The ebay new rule is for Buy It Now
    when you commit to buy, it ONLY becomes yours when you actually pay. If the seller gets another buy It Now offer he accepts which one pays first.

Make an Offer is different, the seller can accept or decline within 48 hrs - if your offer is accepted it is a full comitment on your part.

to me it looks like your (or an offer) was accepted as the watch is now sold. ENJOY!!

In my opinion with Ebay buyer protection you are 100% safe
    sincerely
    adam
    Ah, I understand the difference now.
    It looks like the seller accepted my offer of $700.
    Looks like I overpaid a bit after further researching the same item: (Tennants Auctioneers: A Stainless Steel Quartz Calendar Centre Seconds Wristwatch) , but I do like the fact that it's a cdn seller and I can actually go and do a local pickup. That's a great bonus!

Thanks for your input and advice. I'm glad to see some people like this wrist watch.
    I'm still trying to understand what a quartz movement is. I'm assuming it isn't an automatic movement? Are quartz movements undesirable? I assume a JLC is always a great thing to have even if it isn't automatic?

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    Although I've never bought from him myself, Darlor seems to be a straight dealer. Whenever I look at his prices, quality of offering and so on, it all seems pretty reasonable. He has his own website, of course, and you can check around it to see what you make of him. Not sure if this is much help, but....

Sorry, of course, about your partner's illness. I hope you find him something to perk him up and bring him joy.
    Yes, it seems that Darlor has some half decent pricing. Most are a little above what I can afford. I do like how the company is cdn. I was looking at a JLC they had on there for $675, but the diameter is smaller (35mm).

Thanks for your advice regarding Darlor. Yes, I don't know if /when my partner will ever recover properly. But, if this is his new normal than at least he'll have watches that will be nice for him.

I am glad you bought it, and I dont think you overpaid, you bought it with the correct thoughts and G-D will repay you for that.

quartz means it runs on a battery, so not automatic, but never needs wound.
    "Undesirable" - No, they sell about 960 million each year, versus 27 million mechanical.

Battery is renewed usually every year or two.

any other question please ask
    adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; November 21st, 2013 at 18:15.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

I'm very touched by your comments. I wish you both well in the future.
    For many watch collectors, quartz is less sought after, mechanical watches are generally more collected.
    Darlor is a dealer, after all, he needs to make a living. Watches at auction sell for funny prices, it so much depends upon who's in the room or online. I've seen a couple of guys go absolutely nuts for the same watch, which sold for 3x the estimate (and this auctioneers' estimates tend to be + - 10%), and I've bought a couple of bargains. But take auction prices, eBay included, as guides, rather than estimates of typical market value. Above all, enjoy!

You are a sweetheart to care for your partner in such a kind way. He's a lucky man.

I have bought all my vintage watches on eBay. Three out of four. All vintage Omegas, one Seamaster Deville (60's), One bumper (50's)and one square Deville 70's)
    I actually bought my Wittnauer at a garage sale.
    Never had any trouble.

Thread Information